Scammed by American Home Shield

I was told by the service man sent out by American Home Shield that my forced hot heating unit was shot and that they would check their inventory to see if they had a unit on hand to install right away or they would have to order one for me as I was covered by my policy with them.The next day American Home Shield called me and that I would have to pay $1450.00 to have the installer make revisions to fit the new unit. This is outrageous as I checked with heating repair companies and their average install with modifications is only around $500.00 to $600.00 dollars $950.00 dollars less than American Home Shield, I asked if they could just have them drop off the unit and I will take care of having it installed myself by a heating repair company.

They refuse to do that . Instead they offered me $450.00 to buy my own unit and I would have to pay for my own installation. When I complained that the cheapest unit I could by from Home Depot would be around $1000.00 plus tax and around $500 to $600 for installation and necessary refitting . American Home Shield that they can not pay me more than their wholesale price that they pay on a unit which is $450.00 but they can not sell it to me for that price.

This is a total scam to make me pay for the entire job myself. Stay away from this terrible company for they will look for a way out not to pay for large ticket items. Instead I would recommend American Home repairs for $62.00 will cover all expenses including refitting .

and have a much higher rating than American Home Shield. Don't get ripped off stay away from this dishonest company.

Read

As a contractor I can tell you that is exactly what is happening. The AHS repairman’s other option was to get your claim denied completely and you would have gotten nothing—not even $450.

The contractor has to pay for the new furnace, not AHs. He works for AHS on a flat rate per call basis. It doesn’t matter what he does at each house, he only gets $200.

A denial means he gets $200 for a service call and a report. High non-covered modifications are the only way for him to be able to do the job, because AHS only pays him $200 no matter what.

PleasedAkbash869
Pricing issue
Review #1476782 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Shady Contractors

AHS The very worse. They hired contractors that either does not show up for appointments or that are not professional and dedicated to their business.

We had a washer that went bad and they were supposed to send a guy to repair. He stated he had the wrong phone number and couldn't call, yet we also had a work order to service a heat pump that also had required repairs and that technician showed up. I check out the guy that was supposed to do the washer repair and his reviews stated that he missed appointments or failed to show up at all. We even phoned the man direct and he never returned the call.

The heat tech guy was also nonprofessional. Came to look at the unit, stated it needed a new circuit board. Returned one week to the date and installed the board. Stated there was another issue with a valve.

Never returned the next day and never stated anything about when the part would come in or when he would return. He also stated that the system would have to be drained of Freon and new Freon pumped into the system. My son went to work and asked a guy he works with at the military base if the Freon could be reused and he learned that all they needed to do was place a filter on the return side to filter out any impurities if any existed from the used Freon. Wanted to charge him $400 for the Freon.

Phoned his place of business and his mailbox was full. All these people they contract seem very shady at best.

Read

The contractors used by home warranty companies seem shady for several reasons. Getting new contractors would not/does not solve the problem.

The reasons are: the contractors work for the home warranty company, not you. They can’t tell you anything, they can’t let you decide anything, and they can hardly ever charge you anything. They can’t charge AHS anything either, and that is the biggest problem with no solution. They also are far too short-staffed and overburdened with heavy call volume because AHS slams 1 or 2 companies with a million calls in a huge territory, using their “controlled” companies.

By controlled, it means unable and unwilling to charge more than the service fee to keep AHS calls coming in. They don’t work for you and you aren’t paying them and they are hostages, just like their warranty clientele. You don’t want to work with them, and they don’t want to work with you either. Most home warranty customers are shady customers.

They know it’s a scam and they want it anyway. They think they can outsmart AHS and their contractors and outmaneuver them. Some want revenge and want a 40 year old company like AHS to change.

Not going to happen. They stay one step ahead of the game and have more attorneys.

AcousticSaurian195
I didn’t like
Choice of technicians, Wait time on the phone, Customer service for american home shield was a 3o minute wait
Preferred solution
Hire Professionals that are dedicated to their profession.
Review #1454702 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Biggest Consumer Ripoff

We have two houses, and I got two policies for the two houses before I actually had to deal with using the policies. For the first house, we needed to repair a heat pump.

The tech AHS sent out said the compressor needed to be replaced. We had to wait for AHS to send the heat pump. The reason became apparent later. Six months later, the heat pump failed again.

We decided not to use AHS. The tech looked at the compressor and told us it had been replaced with a reworked compressor. My wife cancelled that AHS policy. Then she kept getting billed.

It took two phone calls to get the charges stopped. For our other house, we have a sewage ejector pump, which unfortunately is in our crawl space. It failed on a Saturday, and the first AHS contractor was not open on the weekend. They arranged for a second contractor who looked that the pump and said he would need to wait until the plumbing warehouse opened on Monday.

When they came on Monday, it turned out the pump was just clogged and could've been repaired on Sat. We have a quadriplegic son so we booked a hotel room for him until the repair could be made. A year later, the pump failed again. It failed on a Wed, the contractor AHS referred me to, said they could not visit the house until Sat.

At that point--after paying AHS the $100 service fee, I cancelled my second policy. To cancel a policy, you have to wait for their "cancellation" department---which is a 1 hour wait----after you've already waited 30 minutes to talk to their billing department. After my wife's first experience with billing, I asked the cancellation person if I needed to do anything else. He said no.

I cancelled my credit card payment. A month later, I get notices that my account is overdue. I am currently on the phone waiting to talk to another cancellation specialist...currently at 48 Minutes. Most of our friends who have had policies have cancelled them.

The service technicians we have worked with who are not with AHS, hate dealing with them. Don't waste your time or money with this company

Read

Your sewage ejector pump lasted a year, why is that a problem? And the reason the non-AHS contractors hate working for them is that AHS won’t send them any more calls unless the contractor will supply all the parts, equipment and labor for the cost of the customer’s service fee.

Then the contravtor has to wait weeks to ever get that! If AHS gives a customer their money back, AHS takes it right back out of the contractor’s next check. Nothing costs AHS anything. The contractors have to fund everything in order to get more calls.

The contractor is expected to service the AHS customers basically for free because they are “sales opportunities”. What horse manure, because AHS customers are bigger cheapskates than usual, and already hacked off before the techs arrive.

GrievingBullock
I liked
Easy to sign up
I didn’t like
Process for getting repairs was unsatisfactory, Customer service for american home shield was a 3o minute wait
Full refund
Review #1454611 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Plumber adding unnecessary charges to bill!!

American Home Shield sent a Plumber to my property from RG Rooter and Plumbing, which is a company I can not even find online or find a current business license for. This company did one "repair" at my home for a leaking faucet and managed to add an additional $245 to that bill that I question the validity of, but I needed it fixed so I paid.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and my water heater goes out. Unfortunately they send out the same company. The plumber states the water is "not brown enough" and then leaves. He never even looks at the water heater.

We know this because there were boxes in front of it that did not get moved. I call American Home Shield to complain and ask for another tech to be sent out. I am told that "they dont so that". Now I have to hire my own plumber from an actual licensed company and call customer service with the bill in hopes I get refunded.

Why do the use companies that make up charges and have no way for the customer to combat this issues?! I want a refund for my repair and RG rooter to be removed from the company's list of plumbers so they are not allowed to rip off any other customers!

.....and it was gas....

Here is the reason: money. AHS takes the customer’s $500-900 per year for the policy, and they have to pay out less than that or else they lose money.

Their customers hope to get more than the $500-900 out of the home warranty or else THEY lose money. Caught in between is the contractor, who is also gambling, that he can keep his overhead and costs down below AHS’s required average cost per ticket cap, which is unbelievably low. For plumbing, it is in the ballpark of less than $100 per ticket average. That includes the customer’s service fee.

Therefore, the plumber has to keep the cost per ticket average down below $100. In order to do this, he has to run by your house and do nothing in hopes of getting another ticket. The non-covered charges are to cover what he is unable to bill AHS for, and is his main source of income, since he can only bill AHS a very small amount, regardless of the work performed. It is the only business model in which actual charges have no correlation to actual expenses or work performed.

Think of it as socialism for your house. Why would a self-respecting plumber work for AHS? Because AHS promises quantity rather than quality customers. Their customers are very disgruntled and rude, because they expect great service in the form of expedient, high quality repairs but instead they get long wait times and low budget service.

The plumber cannot level with you up front and explain this, although he’d probably love to lay it all out for you. However, what would happen is you would flip out and call AHS and demand a new plumber. If they got rid of that guy, they would just get a different one that would have to do the same thing, because AHS isn’t going to raise that dollar limit and lose money on all the plumbing calls across the country.

They’ll get another plumber eventually anyway, as they burn through them pretty often, when the complaints accumulate. To the customers who would ask, “Why would you work for AHS?” The more reasonable question would be “Why would you buy a policy?!” Even more pertinent is, “Why would you renew it?!!!”

@Dont even

Im about to cancel. I hired my own plumer to come out who in fact validated all his charges we made up and replaced my 50 gal water heater with everything needed for $1200. Not the $2500+ they quoted.

@Rachael

A 50 gallon electric water heater, installed, with an expansion tank, and a new shut off valve is less than $900 with a licensed, insured plumber in this area. Not all plumbers will do it for that, but if customers would call around the smaller plumbing guys, and put some effort into rewarding the small guys with business, instead of bolstering the business of the bigger companies that charge more due to advertising, there would be NO NEED for a home warranty.

Heck, use the service men that the home warranty company WOULD have sent, just without the home warranty! This would change the world.

Home warranty insurance companies would go out of business or at least straighten up their act. The contractors who are starving at the mercy of the home warranty would treat you fairly if you’d pay them instead of AHS.

@Dont even

I did call around, all the big companies were $1250-$1400. I went with a small father son company that was the most responsive and willing to come the next day, which was also a Saturday! He offered me the option to get my own water heater and just pay labor but I didnt have the time to mess with it, taking all that into consideration....I think hos price was fair and he is my new plumber!

@Dont even

That is awesome to support the local economy and small businesses. Small businesses are dying out because of government regulations, labor problems, and corporate power, not to mention extraordinary advertising costs and meeting customer demands. Small family-owned businesses used to be the backbone of America.

View more comments
KindUmbrellabird355
Full refund
Review #1370196 is a subjective opinion of poster.
1.3

American Home Shield - Water heater leaked Saturday night

Sunday morning found the garage and sheetrock wet from hot watet heater. Immediately called American home shield to report.

There was a breakdown per horrible plumbing company and AHS as to receiving the issue. 30 + hours later the plumber arrived, stayed 20 min didnt do anything 5o fix the issue. Took his 100.00 claimed he didnt have replacementand we'd have to wait 5 days to repair. No water for 5 days really?

He left. We had to purchase out of pocket a water heater all the fittings at home depot and install it ourselves at 8pm. This is so unacceptable.

To rely on a service company and take hours to get through and have to do the repairs Bullshityourself and pay for them...where do they get these from? They are partially refunding us probably 5 yrs from now..hate this AHS

RomanticQuoll
Order processing issue
Review #1272483 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - This company is about nothing but getting your money!

I had a problem with my water heater and I still do. They replaced the water heater but still I am having issues.

They came back once after installing new water heater to replace a valve because it made loud sounds. Now after another month the water heater is making more noise than it ever did and it acts like it is going to explode. I canceled my service before the next billing cycle and they still took my money. I have tried to contact them over 30 times and it's like my phone number is blocked.

I can't get them to answer. I will make sure everyone I know, understands what crooks they are. I have tried to call customer service and even tried to reach them on CHAT. Nothing works.

Since my account is now closed its like I never existed to them. I can be reached at 870/240-6460.

PleasingBadger
I didn’t like
Warranty service, Do not answer service request phone line, Call waiting time
Warranty issue
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1272397 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - The worst scam I have ever fell for

American Home *** is a scam, called for service on my hot water heater which is making loud popping sound and only putting out luke warm water. Took off work for an 12 to 4 appointment, the service tech showed up at 6:45 asked me a couple questions and said he would have to go back and call it in. He took some pictures of the water heater. He said they would have to find out where this manufacturer and model were sold and that it would take a few days.

Well several days later I called the service tech and was told that American Home *** would not cover it because it was sediment and it was my responsibility to flush it twice a year. Well my water heater is now 12 years old and several years past the expected life span. On top of that, I flushed the water heater just about every year, but may have missed one or two flushing's.

I have called 5 times today and as I get into the details with the service person, I somehow get disconnected and have to start all over again. I have even given my phone number to call me back if we were disconnected and no call back.

We have used this service 3 times over the 4 years we have had it and with the $100 service fee, the items we had repaired were typically $40 to $60 repair projects if I called a local plumber or HVAC repairman. So I paid $140 for a $40 job and $160 for a $60 job, not counting all the monthly payments.

Now the phone waiting que says 5 to 10 minutes, well it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Just trying to discontinue this scam and I would never recommend this to anyone. I feel bad that I had recommended it to a couple of friends who purchased it.

h.kitchener

My plumber says that flushing the water heater regularly may not really be any good for them. Who knows?

In your case, a twelve year old water heater should just be replaced, especially if it is giving you the problems you describe. These things are relatively cheap to replace. Cancel your AHS and buy a new one from a local plumbing and heating firm in town. Don't buy one from a big box store that will install it for you, etc.

as you never know who their installers are. A local plumbing firm is always more reliable.

DentalSeaDragon406
95643, 73694 Mecca Ave, Mecca, CA 92254, USA
Warranty issue
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered
Review #1256489 is a subjective opinion of poster.

First American Home Warranty - No resolution

Called this company yesterday since I did not have any hot water and we have a warranty on the hot water tank. They sent a general contractor who did not perform the job well and was left $75 less and no hot water.

The next day contacted the company and they sent another contractor who came in an diagnosed the problem but doesn't have time to complete the work. Two days without hot water and with First American telling me that they don't know when is going to be done or if it's even cover.

The supervisors keep on hanging up the phone. I was on the phone with them at 9:00 am till 3:40 pm and no resolution.

VIANE
Indifference to problem, Service, Rudest agents
THE HOT WATER TANK IS NOT REPAIR
Full refund
Review #1225380 is a subjective opinion of poster.

First American Home Warranty - Emergency water heater breakage

This is the worse home warranty company i have ever dealt with. They do not care about emergencies.

My water heater busted and water leakage escalated where the water company had to come out to shut-off the irrigation system. They're customer service advised not to hire my own company as they would not reimburse. Once the plumbing company came out, they capped the corroded pipe and was able to get water. A day later, the pipe started leaking and reported immediately.

Customer service told me to wait another day and if i was unable to wait, they would retract my claim and could hire someone on my own. It will be five days since issue was reported and no resolution.

I would NEVER recommend First American Home Warranty. I am having to pay for a hotel due to my two small children and they will not reimburse any of it either.

Bad quality
Review #1220286 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1220286.
1.6

Error 12 Navien service no help to me

Model CH 180 error 12 and 03. Its been working fine for 3 years.

Changed flame rod,cleaned filters,changed pc board,add methane to propane, Been 4 weeks and three service calls and still the same problem.

Come home to cold house. Anybody out there that can help me out?

Bad quality
Review #1182936 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1182936.