So I posted a Mc Donalds article a few months back and can't believe how many "Trolls" are on this site posting off-topic nonsense to try and stimulate an emotional response. Internet trolls are people who fish for other people's confidence and, once found, exploit it.

So as a guide to all and any users experiencing the dark side off the internet I've come to give you this guide.

The term "troll" can mean a number of different things, but in essence, a troll is a person who aims to have 'pleasure' at your expense. There are two main types of trolls:

1.)people who have the psychological need to feel good by making others feel bad.

2.)people who pretend to be someone that they are not - they create persons that you think are real, but they know is fictitious.

There are also sub groups of trolls:

Playtime Trolls: an individual plays a simple, short game. Such trolls are relatively easy to spot because their attack or provocation is fairly blatant, and the person is fairly two-dimensional.

Tactical Trolls: This is where the troller takes the game more seriously, creates a credible person to gain confidence of others, and provokes strife in a subtle and invidious way.

Strategic Trolls: A very serious form of game, involving the production of an overall strategy that can take months or years to develop. It can also involve a number of people acting together in order to invade a list.

Domination Trolls: This is where the trollers' strategy extends to the creation and running of apparently bona-fide mailing lists.

There are very simple ways of dealing with them that I have learned from personal experience.

Remember, trolls feel rewarded by creating the biggest altercation possible. They want to get a reaction out of you. When you fight with a troll, he wins. When you reason with a troll, he wins. Any time that you give a troll attention, he gets exactly what he wants.

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. When you ignore a troll, he doesn't get the satisfaction of creating an escalated conflict.

If you decide to leave a discussion because of the negative tone, do not dramatically announce that you are leaving. While that message may make you feel better, it only convinces the troll that he is winning.

If you absolutely feel you have to respond, remember this IS what they want. Trolls will be thrown off balance if you give them a simple compliment. They will try and wind you up, but the last thing you should do is sloop to their level.

Example:

A troll will come in and say, hey your a LIAR cause you spelt it LYER." All they want to do is get you wound up.

This is NOT how to reply:

"WHAT DOES MY SPELLING AND CRAMMER HAVE TO DO WITH _____ WILL YOU PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC"

You are showing the troll that they can get at you by posting off topic.SHOUTING also shows your getting mad, and there continue to post of topic to get a response.

This is what to say:

"Why thank you ____ I realize my spelling tends to have some mistakes, and I'm glad you pointed it out. At least now I can never do it again."

This shows your not phased by his criticism and hopefully now they will go away, but sometimes they post back saying the same thing, just maybe worded differently. They know there wrong but they just want you to get mad. Just don't reply in this case, or your just escalate things further. You have already explained it to him and anyone reading through will realize he's a troll and what he's saying is of no value. If they say your article is false, there would be no point in posting facts about your article, they don't care about that. If you want to post facts you should do it before you post your article.

So just remember when dealing with a troll, Keep calm, don't sloop to their level, don't let your anger show through (I can't emphasize this enough, this is what they want) and finally pay a compliment or encourage them to join in. If none of his works on stopping him. Identify him as a troll and calmly ignore them.

There only people, don't let them get to you, remember there the one's that are sad. NOT YOU.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Had an Experience with Other Company?

Comments