American Home Shield - Extremmely nasty service from the people who answers the phone to the contractors. Manager is of not help. Nasty Nasty Nasty!!!!!!

I am almost speechless and shocked that American Home Shields can still be in business. The entire company does not care about their customers.

There is no total customer satisfaction in this company. Once they got your money, you won't hear from the contractor nor the AHS people care! I have been calling the contractor they have assigned me to for 48 hours still counting, left tons of voice mail, etc. No one calls back.

When you finally got hold of someone, they were very quick to hang up on you. You don't feel like you can even voice your opinion. Afterwards, I requested them to switch to another company, I was allowed. I was told that I have to pay another $125 service fee.

This makes no sense, we have to pay for a job that was never completed. Pure nonsense! Another time, my kitchen faucet broke, I waited for 10 days till someone came to install a new one. They replaced my $400 faucet with something that might only cost for $50.

AHS won't refund my money back, let alone replace the cheap faucet.

Do not sign up with this company! Never!!!!!!

Read

The whole process is a flim-flam—a home warranty was invented just to help realtors sell houses, but it has evolved into an epic con game. You can’t get the premium investment out of it, or else they would not make money.

They can’t pay out anything on claims or the contractors will be too generous. So instead, they are stingy with money to the contractors—only allowing a very small amount per claim no matter what is needed. For plumbing it’s around $125. A faucet can’t be provided and installed for $125 so you have to accept the cheapest thing possible and feel lucky you got that.

The plumber has to make money too or there would be no point. The contractors are treated horribly by home warranty customers and home warranty companies. It is a nightmare for all parties involved.

Just pay for your own repair people and skip the middle man. There is no better home warranty company.

Order processing issue
Review #1446710 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1446710.

American Home Shield - Unbelievable Service - Not in a Good Way

I can not believe how this story has multiplied with the same story line. i have experienced the same thing having the plumber come to my residence and tell me "Yep it needs to be replaced" ....

No @#$% Sherlock. I was out of hot water for two days before a plumber was given the 24hr rule to respond by AHS contract due to the fact that it was a weekend and the contract stated "working days". the plumber advised that he would give AHS a call and someone would contact me that night ...yeah right...no call back. i contacted AHS and they stated to me "the plumbers info has not reached their portal...WHAT!!!!!

(all the words your mom told you not to say me out....). Plumbers report advised several things needed that the plumber advised that were not needed. AHS advised that they did not cover these items. Out of pocket for would be $1100...(i don't think so...more of moms words followed).

Seven (7) days no hot water...Home Depot here i come...... AHS ..advised that i would get a Cash In Lieu ($400).

Where do you get a water heater for $400....( I couldn't). Is this worth all the (moms don't say words).

Read

$900 is what a total water heater replacement job costs if the tank is electric. Customers should be willing to spend that on a licensed plumber bringing a quality water heater brand, an expansion tank, and all copper piping—not flexible hoses or quick connectors—including the removal of the old water heater.

If that is unaffordable, then the homeowner should buy and install a water heater themselves using YouTube tutorials. Home warranties are a complete joke. The home warranty plumber cannot do the job for what they get paid, so they have to make up the difference somehow. $400 is more than twice what the AHS plumber would have been paid by AHS for replacement of your water heater and he would also have to provide the water heater and accessories.

It’s impossible! There is no use in a home warranty policy, except to cause delays and aggravation.

I hope you didn't get involved with this group because of their TV commercial. These so-called "home warranties" aren't worth the paper they're printed on and generally cost more than the service rendered had you handled the situation yourself.

You can't really consider these tings "warranties" in the style of a factory or manufacturer's warranty.

Rather, consider an insurance company - get you back to where you were yesterday - and the twin departments of Delay and Deny. Keep your money and make your own repairs or replacements as need be and you'll come out ahead 9 times out of 10.

Poor customer service
Review #1444260 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1444260.
1.2

American Home Shield - Sham!

I normally not do not post at all but am so angry I need this to spread so please share!

We have always had a home warranty - for the last 15 years it has been with American Home Shield (before 2003 it was a different company). So here goes our frustrating dealings with them recently....

The day before Thanksgiving I had a plumbing stoppage, frustrating but no problem we’re covered. I called AHS, paid the service call fee and they assigned a contractor. 3 hours later the plumber shows up, sees that I have water coming out of the main line overflow and states that our cesspool is full. He peeks into cesspool and says - yep you’re full, you need to be pumped, gets into his van an leaves. Was at our house for less than 5 minutes. We called AHS to ask if we still had to pay service fee because the plumber said it wasn’t a stoppage and was told yes we still had to pay, no refund for us. Not happy but live and learn. We are now panicked because we had cesspool pumped when we bought the house just months before. I called multiple companies and finally found one that could add us to their jam packed schedule the day before a holiday. They arrive a few hours later only to see that my cesspool is in fact NOT full and we have a mainline blockage. Well that was a relief but I still can’t use my water or facilities unless it gets snaked. We have them do the work. $255.27 later - yippee we are back in business!

I call AHS back to tell them that the “professional“ they sent was wrong, that it was a plumbing stoppage, asked for a refund. I have been getting the run around for 6 days now with promises that they will “do some research” and call me back. Needless to say that has not happened. As the attached pic shows I was on hold for 5 minutes and mysteriosly was disconnected. Call back and was on hold for most of the hour that shows on my call log. Today I was told that they would not refund anything to me because I did not follow proper procedures. Their “procedures” indicate that I should have called and stated we disagreed with the diagnosis of first “professional” they sent. I’m so sorry - my crystal ball is in the freaking shop! How was I supposed to know I disagreeed with a “professional”! I followed the advice of the “professional” AHS sent us and called a cesspool company. Evidently we have to be able to see into the future to know that we disagreed with what their professional says.

Customer service barely speaks or understands English, supervisors are nearly impossible to reach and have no better understanding of customer service than the non English speaking people you are first connected with and Escalation Dept is a joke. When I asked to have this go to the escalation departments higher up I was denied.

Our policy is paid in full each year we have used AHS. This will be the last year we will waste our money on this sham of a company. After reading many complaint forums for AHS in the past 6 days it seems this is typical for them.

We personally will never use them again after contract is up and as a Real Estate professional I will NEVER recommend them and highly discourage anyone from wasting their hard earned money.

Please share the heck out of this!!!!!!

Read

Can’t say for sure, but it sounds like the contractor has found a way to get out of doing any actual work, and to collect the flat rate service fee, which is all he gets no matter what work, if any, he performs. Thecway all home warranty companies pay the vendor’s is on a flat rate, capped basis.

Any vendor who tries to charge otherwise is let go. That method of payment doesn’t exactly encourage productivity. Imagine this: if as a realtor, you get paid a flat rate of $100 for every house you show, sell, list, or provide any service for, etc. , would you bust your *** trying to help it get sold?

Your pay is the same pitiful low price no matter how hard you work.

All you need is more volume and less time and your own money spent per call. There is no incentive for home warranty techs to do anything, except show up and look for a way to get out quickly.

CutNumbat418
I didn’t like
Would have given zero stars if i could have, No solution to problem, Unprofessional, Sales department - just wants your money, On hold an hour
Full refund
Review #1409710 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Sink disaster!!

We requested that only a dripping faucet be repaired. The existing faucet was replaced with a cheap faucet that doesn't drip but then our perfectly good disposal was removed {which was not requested by us) and replaced with an inferior disposal and hooked up backwards so that it fills our sink rather than the draining, causing a dangerous health hazard!

Telephone calls to American Home Shield have produced no help.

When AHS is called we are put on hold for hours at a time. When someone does finally come on line their connection is so terrible or their English is so bad that they can't be understood most of the time.

h.kitchener

Sounds like either you didn't watch the repairman do the repairs or were actually observing him but let him replace these things. Best to always watch and ask questions. As for AHS and wait times, it seems this is standard procedure for them, as is sending inept, unreliable repair companies.

OrangeChinchilla
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered
Review #1402149 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Will gladly take your money and your deductible but does not fix the problem

A simple sink backup. Double sinks.

Two different companies were sent. They could not fix the sinks. After 2 weeks with no kitchen sink resolution, we decided to call our own plumber. Had came and had the sink fixed in less than 15 minutes.

Only charged $125.00.

This American home shield had no trouble taking our deductible and not even fixing a thing. This insurance is a rip off. I want my deductible back, and i want all of my monthly payments that i faithfully paid back, every single cent. I am so sorry I ever purchased this rip off insurance.

By the way, my husband had to go bring the plumber home warranty sent, they could not find our house. Mickey Mouse company..

Sincerely, Rick and Rose Esquibel

OrganicJaguar
Tags
  • Negligent Service Technicians
I didn’t like
All of the below, Poor service contractors, Terrible would not recommend to anyone, Contractor did not do much, Having to retell story each and every time
Bad quality
Review #1401238 is a subjective opinion of poster.
1.1

American Home Shield - Failure to complete repairs, damages by their contractors

A plumber came to repair my toliet and shower f, 5 weeks ago, but did not complete either task. He left a whole in my wall and never returned.

AMH has not responded to my calls or messages. This is an ongoing issue with all of their contractors!

Read

The plumber is not a Sheetrock person. Access is up to the customer, and the holes are up to the customer.

“Access” is not exactly “Damage” To make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. After 5 weeks, you should move on.

Call a handyman or better yet a painter and get the hole fixed properly. Cancel the home warranty and you’ll have enough in the future to pay for repairs that don’t take 5+ weeks!

DarkHare
Bad quality
Review #1400186 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Thumbtack - About pro identifying self

Pro best price plumbing refused to provide proof of identity, did not give me anything but first name and refused to text me a copy of his license for his busines. He accused me of being untrusting and damaged by someone else who previously "burned" me.

Abused my trust. He instead sent a pic of his logo on his truck and then sent me a pick of google reviews.

He told me he was taking over for his dad and that he personally had been in business for 20 years. Really scared me as i am a woman who was going to be home alone and that he now has my address

IdealisticBeardedDragon
Plumbing Service
Review #1373095 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - NO RESOLUTION

In July 2018 I paid a service request of $75.00 I had a young man come to my home and look at the leak. He said I can't fix it or if I tear this part of wall out to fix it I cant guarantee you I can replace it.

I said what are you talking about. I called Greenway and was promised a resolution to this problem that I never got. Now it's going be winter time in a few months and I would really like to know what or if they going to do anything about my problem. I have been a customer of AHS for over 20 years and this treatment is unacceptable.

I paid $75.00 for a young unexperience young man to come into my home find the leak and say "I don't think I can fix it" and that's it. I would like someone to come out that can tell me why they can't fix it and make some sort of effort to fix it. Please contact me by phone,letter or email. Harriet.bean @tn.gov, 615-256-3569 or 615-210-4465 and you have my address.

ASAP. Thanks

GrippingCoral
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1358874 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Failure to Provide Professional Service Contractor and 2nd Opinion

On Aug. 10th we requested service for a leaking sink drain. Four days later AHS sent to our home an older man accompanied by a nose ringed younger man. They looked as if they were homeless. The van they drove up in was on its last leg and "Drain Openers Plus" was hand written in magic marker on the side.

They reviewed problem with me verbally and then went into the crawl space under the house. They came back and told me they can't help us because the sink problem was caused by an "improper install of bathtub."

That's nonsense. Our new bathtub installation was completed over six months ago and the sink problem first occurred 5 days earlier.

I call AHS the next day 08/15/2018 at 10:50 AM and spoke with Teresa. I requested a contractual second opinion be supplied us and by one of AHS's long time contractors Advanced Appliance.

I specified Advanced because they have always provided us with professional and quality service, even if the problem wasn't covered under our AHS warranty.

Teresa promised AHS would get Advanced Appliance to come out for the second opinion. That was 17 days and 4 phone calls to AHS ago. We have been told each time that a second opinion is not available to us at this time because the initial contractor still has not supplied AHS with his determination.

This remains the case, even though AHS Call Center Supervisor, Paul promised to personally contact the initial ccontractor, get their determination and call me back with information about when we could expect Advanced Appliance will be contacting us.

He lied.

AHS charged $80.06 to my credit card the same day they sent these frauds to fix our sink, 08/14/2018.

At this writing we will begin to go public with the truth about how AHS treats it's members of 14 years.

We hope this complaint forum and our others will provide us with the necessary help we need and expect from AHS as a contractual responsibility on their part. We have complied totally.

It seems reasonable to us that if AHS cannot get the first determination they should allow us our requested second opinion as the problem is on their side, not ours.

If anyone wishes to comment on the above complaint share their complaints against AHS, please email me at paulncjusticeparty@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Paul Carrano

SevereTetra
Being lied to
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1344101 is a subjective opinion of poster.

In my opinion, American Home Shield is a total scam.

First, I called AHS about plastic trim on the door on my Electrolux builtin microwave oven melting. AHS sent to my house a technician who examined the microwasve then called AHC.

I was then told that the door would not be covered because the melting was caused by a build up of food. There was no build up of food. I was charged $100 for the technician,

Next, my gas hot water heater sprang a leak. AHS sent a technician from a local plumbing company to my house.

He confirmed that the water heater had to be replaced. The technician then called AHS then handed the cell phone to me to talk with an AHS representative. The representative said AHS would pay the total cost of a new water heater and the cost of instalation; however, the plumber would have to make modifications that would cost me more than $800. It took the young technician approximately 1 hour to install the new water heater.

He replaced less than 3 feet of pipe and two valves. I could have bought the exact water heater at Home Depot for $500 and had it installed for under $400.

I told the technician I knew i was getting ripped off and he agreed. He told me the name of another home warrenty company that usually actually pays the cost of replacement and installation.

Read

AHS contractors have to make their money somehow, since they can only charge AHS about $120 for each Plumbing call, even if they provide the tank, accessories like the international plumbing code-required expansion tank and labor. The contractor must scalp the customer in order to do the work and still get more calls.

The lost goodwill for his company increases his dependence on AHS so he can’t break away, much like you paid the copay and chose not to break away when you knew you could do better elsewhere. Only he can’t, now.

Pricing issue
Review #1341250 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1341250.