I hired a young, hispanic man to spread mulch in my flower beds at a reasonable price. His nice business card with phone number and his name (hah!) says CARLOS HERRERA, 559-724-0170.

The cost was $8.00 per bag. The bags were probably 5 lbs each... 10"x12" or so; included labor and follow-up if needed for 6 mos . I asked how many bags would it take or an estimate.

He showed me a sample spread of 5 bags. The sample bags of mulch had covered about 6 feet of ground. I guessed about 30 bags at the most. BUT, the problem is, he and his team spread it around as proposed but then added at least 3 bags on TOP (at least 8 inches) of that!

Total baggs were 52, I think. According to the math, it would have been more like 225 bags for that amount. The total cost ended up being $1800.00! I about choked and was in shock; so he told me to make an offer.

I meant to offer $300 (but really didn't want to humiliate him), so I inadvertently said $1300 instead. My check bounced because I wrote it on my mad money account, which was low. Hah! Foolish me: when he came back the next day to get another check, I read him off but still replaced the check with the same amount.

So, I decided to call him and discuss the rip off more, and of course, the phone number had been disconnected. Never again will I be so gullible nor helpful; he had told me the crew was hungry and needed work. Hah!

Onto the next neighborhood for them... Hope others don't fall for the hustle...

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments