1.3K views

I'm the at least equally pissed off wife of a pissed off consumer of hearing aids. First of all, the price is exhorbitant, and he's had several different kinds.

Second of all, they fall out easily and get lost, make his ear canal sweat when they do stay in, they emit a deafeningly loud electronic squawk, use up batteries at an alarming rate . .

. and most of the time, anyway, it's like sitting across the breakfast table from the silly old Vaudevillian who's continually going "Can't hear you; I've got a banana in my ear."

Comments

Massachusetts, United States #893617

"he's had several different kinds." What were the names of the brands that he used that were no good?

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States #724404

First of all hearing aids should NOT fall out of your ears...get a remake done by asking wherever u purchased the hearing aids. By law u should have a trail period if they dont want to help u out RETURN them and take ur business to someone who cares. Secondly that sqeal is feedback and hearing aids will do that when they dont fit properly in the ears....and if there is excessive wax in the ear or on the ear piece.

Lufkin, Texas, United States #683293

Sorry guys, but it is best to stay away from chain brand hearing aids. I think you will find that you can be drawn in by low advertized prices and free this that and something else, and then watch them go into a high pressure sales mode for their most expensive units.

After dealing with Beltone and Audibel for many years I can tell you that this is true.

Fortunately I found an audiologist that showed integrity and ethics never tried to sell me anything and helped me out with what I had. Since then I now wear Oticons (yeah, their high priced) but have never been happier after 30 years of being hearing impaired.

I have to comment on this post.. If you have reasonable expectations and someone who knows what they are doing (sorry but many don't) then the process can be made easier.

I have to explain to people that your brain bascially does not know what to do with the extra nosie if you have very bad hearing and have had it not corrected for a long time.

Programming of the devices can help with quite a bit but it depends on the level of technology you select and most importantly the knowledge of the person doing it. I have had the experience where people pay 5K plus for aids and they are not programmed properly(then worth $2) and I cannot fix it since all aids have different software that is company specific. Long story short you are paying for the person wearing the white coat.

If they do not care about you and just want to sell you something then RUN! There are those of us who skip lunch, come in early and leave late to take care of you guys. If the individual knows what they are doing you should not hear your self chew, you should not hear static, you should hear and understand even in noisy enviornemnts. Reasonable expectation does not mean..."when im in the car and the windows are down and my three year old grandchild is in the back seat and he says something I cant hear him if the radio is on...talk to other people in your area that wear aids and have no problems.

If you go to them and he/you still have problems listen to what your told and do it.

Some people who let it go too long do not adapt as they will not, desire to wear them has to be there, if he is doing it just to shut you up it will never happen. I see them from time to time they really dont want to wear them and will sabatoge every effort you make to find someone to help them.

I am plannning to get hearing aids soon. Its not easy to pick out something with the vast range of prices.

Does anyhone have any suggestions as to what would be a good buy with reasonable pricing?

There is a lot of options, so it becomes confusing on what should be purchased. Thanks, Ed M.

to Ed M. Seattle, Washington, United States #683140

costco!

to Ed M. Seattle, Washington, United States #683287

go to Costco, with an appointment.

buy a Resound Forza, and a Minimic to hang on your partner.

you will be enchanted, as i was.

depending on your needs, buy

Good

Better

or Best technology level. all will amaze you!

elijah lovejoy, Ph.D mathematical Psychology

retired from UCSB

My mother is 91 and her old analog hearing aid is starting to go out. She has severe hearing loss in that ear and I was wondering if anyone knows if MD Acousitine Pro might help her.

I hate to see her spend $$$$ on one that might not help her and they carry a 45 day return. I'm at a loss!

to Vernalynne Seattle, Washington, United States #683144

good bet. do not try their cheapest.

i suggest the AIR

Has anyone ever dealt with Angelear (Mass Hearing Aid Network)? How was your experience?

SAMeyeAM

Just what is your point????????

All this critisism and yet no truth.

In WA state a dispenser goes to school for two years (AT Degree)to fit hearing aids and is required to obtain 30 CEU's every three years...

the other 49 should follow. Which state requires 3 months of trainig? Hearing Instrument Technicians only go to school for two years because they are not diagnosing or treating like an Audiologist. Many of these Technicians will go to work for an Audiologist or an ENT Clinic.

Hearing aids are just a portion of what an Audiologist goes to school for, it is not their main objective. Some people need an Audiologist and some do not-it depends the diagnosis.

When it comes to hearing aids one should not be so bias, there are good apples, bad apples and just plain rotten apples in both fields. Look for someone with experience, someone that will listen.

3 Putt

Not all audiologist nor HA dispensers whom I prefer to refer to as used car salesmen are honest. However, I have been to 3 audiologist in my life, none of which have attempted to "sell" me anything.

Distributors are a different breed, they seem to be not to see to your best needs, but only to sell you the top of the line of their product, bait and switch ads not withstanding. Beware of Audibel a division of Starkey and Beltone........

to 3 Putt Seattle, Washington, United States #683163

costco fitters are usually fine.

many others, too.

good luck!

Purchased Starkey RIC S Series. Hane been back numerous times because they stop working :cry :(

#219470

If you want your hearing care experience to be heard go to www.eartrak.com and complete an online survey.

Have Audibel hearing aids. At the time I purchased them I was told they could cut down on the background noise.

This turned to be a hoax. When the background noise goes down so does the volume

#205307

I purchased a set of hearing aids from Costco San Dimas Ca. The audiologist that sold me the hearing aids was a exceedingly professional and very attentive to my special needs as I have a profound loss in both ears.

After about six months the original audiologist was transferred to another Costco and replaced with a very obnoxious woman who did not appear to be interested in my issues and lied to me about some TV adapters I was interested in.

I ended up going to another Costco in a different city to squire my adapters and it took him five minutes to contact the factory. If you want service DO NOT GO TO COSTCO SAN DIMAS.

I have had hearing aids for over 25 years. I've used audiologists and Costco.

Costco is less expensive but the offering is very limited.

If you have special problems or need extra features Costco is not the way to go. If you have moderate loss and just need a little boost they are OK. Their hearing tests are very basic and they don't have a lot of options to offer.

They are polite and have good service. I can't live with their offerings.

be sure to understand the difference between hearing aid dispenser and audiologist. Hearing aids usually cost the same of less with the audiologist but they have a doctoral education (8 years) and have guidelines that must be followed by their organizations.

Mark up varies but audiologist include the fitting, any follow up visits (Very Important. There are anywhere from 2 to endless follow ups), in house repairs, cleaning of aids into the cost. Audiologist are far from rich usually averaging salary from $45,000 to $70,000 depending on state, experience and setting. They are in the field because it is interesting and rewarding, othewise they would take get the dispenser license (takes 3 months I think) and make the same money.

When purchasing aids you should always get a contract or purchace agreement that has everything written out for you. There is a required trial period that varies by state and will begin on the day you walk out of the office with the aids. Its usually around 30 days. Before the 30 days are up you can return them and the only cost to you might be the hearing test, earmolds if you recieved them (and they will give you the earmolds to keep), and the audiologist will keep a small percentage of the cost of the aids for his or her services, like an office visit fee (around 10% or so).

Hearing aids that are properly fit (by a professionsl) should never, ever cause additional damage to your hearing, and they are programmed to never reach a level anywhere near that.

Never let anyone pressure you, be sure and ask questions about any concerns and get everything in writing. Hope this helps