1.2K views

THE ABSOLUTE AND SINGLE REASON WHY ANYONE BUYS HEARING AIDS FROM COSTCO IS PRICE. PERIOD.

ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE SUPERIOR PRODUCTS.

ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE BETTER SERVICE OR WARRANTY POLICIES.

ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE QUALIFIED HEARING AID DISPENSERS.

ITS BECAUSE, IN MOST CASES, IN MOST GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS, THEY OFFER THE BEST PRICES.

I do not write this, to in any way denigrate the quality of experience,service,attitude,or skills, of their Hearing Aid Dispensers, in relation to any other Hearing Aid Dispensers anywhere, employed by anyone, or self-employed, because I know several Hearing Aid Dispensers employed by COSTCO and they are as good as anyone and as dedicated as anyone. They are as experienced, if not more so, than most Hearing Aid Dispensers, and as Individuals, they have the same values,morals,ethics,and virtures, as anyone else in the Hearing Aid Industry.

Hearing Aid Dispensers are like anyone else. We all have different values,and ethics.

It doesn't matter your looks,education,or training.

You are either Honest,Compassionate,Generous,Interested,Serious,Thoughtful,Responsible, Dependable, or you are not.

Everyone, regardless of their Station in Life, can *** their Employers, Supervisors,Associates,etc.

Some People, regardless of who they are, feel the only one they answer to, is themself.

Thats not who you want as your Hearing Aid Provider, regardless of their Title,Education,or Degrees.

I write this because today, on my 2nd visit to my local Barnes & Noble Booksellers Store, a man stood in front of me in the check-out line, that wore 2 Open Fit Hearing Aids.

From behind him, I asked him how the Hearing Aids were working for him.

He replied, not worth a ***.

I noticed an English Accent.

I told him I was in the Business and that one of his Hearing Aids was seat correctly upon his ear.

I immediately noticed they were what we call "Open Fit" type hearing aids.

Because I could see the Domes (the part that fits in the ear canal) and because of the way they hung on his ears, I determined the length of the tubing or wires were shorter than they should have been to be effective and be cosmetically appealing.

The way those Hearing Aids fit that Man was more a reflection of the Hearing Aid Provider, than the Hearing Aid User.

The Hearing Aid User didn't know any better, the Hearing Aid Provider either did, or should have.That is assuming, the Hearing Aid Provider cared about his or her Client.

The Hearing Aid User, who was a Person I hadn't met before, and may never meet again, proceeded to the Check-out Register before I did.

I finished my purchase before he did, and since I had to pass him on the way out of the store, I said Goodby and Good *** to him.

He stopped me as I passed him, and asked me if he could talk to me. I waited for him by the exit.

When he arrived where I was positioned near the exit, he told me of his entire experience in the purchase and usage of his Hearing Aids.

He stated that he went to COSTCO only because of Price.

In fact he said other Friends and Family Members only went to COSTCO because of Price.

Everybody he knew inquired everywhere other than COSTCO but found the Price of Hearing Aids to be RIDICULOUS AND VERY OVER PRICED.

As a result, they felt that COMMON SENSE dictated that they buy their Hearing Aids from COSTCO.

After he purchased the recommended Hearing Aids from the Hearing Aid Dispenser for COSTCO at the Fountain Valley location, he found he couldn't cope with the Dispenser's Attitude and Disposition.

He chose to be Serviced by the Hearing Aid Dispenser in the COSTCO Cerritos location. He thought the guy there was a very nice person, polite, and accomadating.

The reality is, that the Dispenser in Cerritos. probably resents the idea, that he is taking care of a Customer of the Fountain Valley location.

The Customer of COSTCO and the User of the Hearing Aids, who paid COSTCO $3,000 for a pair of INTERTON OPEN FIT HEARING AIDS, is very unhappy with the performance of the Hearing Aids.

Both the Hearing Aid User and his Wife, want to return the Hearing Aids to COSTCO for a refund.I assured them that COSTCO would very willingly return their money.

I also suggested he try the newest Hearing Aids COSTCO is offering, called REXTON REVO with a remote control and a receiver in the canal, which provides better localization of sound.

I also suggested that perhaps the Gentleman really didn't have enough of a loss to justify spending even $3,400 for Hearing Aids.

Perhaps he had expectations that could never be met.

It has been my experience, that when People who have a Marginal, or what I call Optional, Hearing Loss, meaning that the World, or their Life, or Anyone Else's, doesn't hinge on whether they understand Beach as Beach, rather than Teach, or they respond to the word spoken as Peach, rather than Reach, perhaps they really don't need Hearing Aids, especially since they COST MORE THAN HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION.

Better Speech Practices by all Speakers,and a Realization that there are limitations to the Benefits of Hearing Aids, and because of the Current Pricing Patterns, of Hearing Aids, its Conceivable that my observation that "Only the People that Really Need Hearing Aids will buy them and use them, and accordingly will appreciate them for what they are. An Assistive Listening Device.

I have decided that the way all current Hearing Aid PProviders could take COSTCO out of the Hearing Aid Business and thus Eliminate a very viable COMPETITOR, is to OFFER ALL THE SAME PRODUCTS THAT COSTCO OFFERS AT EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE.

SINCE COSTCO HAS A VERY LIMITED SELECTION OF HEARING AID BRANDS AND MODELS, AND SINCE MOST HEARING AID OFFICES CAN BUY THE SAME PRODUCTS AT VERY CLOSE PRICES THAT COSTCO PAYS, AND SINCE COSTCO IS MAKING A VERY GOOD PROFIT WHEN THEY SELL HEARING AIDS, FOR EXAMPLE, THEY ARE MAKING ABOUT $1,000 PROFIT PER HEARING AID WHEN THEY SELL THE REXTON REVO HEARING AID FOR $1,700 OR $2,000 PER PAIR ON A SALE OF $3,400 FOR 2 HEARING AIDS, I WOULD ASSUME EVEN THE MOST GREEDY HEARING AID PROVIDER OR DISPENSER COULD LIVE WITH THAT PROFIT MARGIN.

I KNOW I CAN.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OF CONTENT CALL: Eugenia Mironoff @ (800) 432-7114 or email: dat35@verizon.net

Comments

lovejoyelijah@gmail.com

please keep me informed. thanks

Don't open your HA business near a Costco

It has been shown in research that hearing aids improve health-related quality of life by reducing psychological, social, and emotional effects of hearing loss. I'm sure there are many reasons the gentleman we met in Costco that day did not wear hearing aids.

He might not want to admit he's getting older, he might believe there is a stigma to wearing hearing aids, or he might believe that hearing aids do not work well enough to help him. What was sad to me is that I do know that hearing aids would significantly improve his quality of life.

This gentleman obviously had age-related high frequency hearing loss and the use of a hearing aid would have completely solved his problem in Costco. I hope he will accept his loss one day and give the hearing aids a try.

hearing services

I appreciate your post. I also wrote that SMS advertising provides a cost effective method of targeting promotions to specific customer profiles. You might want to remind customers of specific events or promotions, but for whatever reasons, SMS allows you to pass information directly to the right customer at very affordable prices and fast delivery.

Hearing Aid

Glad to see this information.its very useful for eneryone.thanks for sharing this post.

Hearing Aid

Costco has done something no other company in the hearing aid business has been able to do. Costco has provided better hearing to more people then any dispensing company out there with the exception of the VA.

VA patients do not pay for their hearing aids by the way. Costco has been in the hearing aid business for only 13 years. In that time Costco has become the number one retailer of hearing aids in the US. In 2010 Costco sold over 140 million in hearing aids.

Costco only has the top two models of aids from 3 different suppliers. Bernafon (a brand name of Otocon, Rexton ( a brand name of Seimens) and Resound. All companys reconized as top developers of hearing aids in the world. The average years of experence for 75% of Costco dispensers is plus 15 years.

For the other 25% it is greater then 4 years. Costco had done more for the hearing impaired of this country then any other company.

Of course there will be hard feelings, of course there will be those who have thier own mind set of what we do, but the fact of the matter is we help more people hear better. Period!

A VERY proud Costco Dispenser in Kendall, FL.

to Larry A Boles Seattle, Washington, United States #605640

I agree with your positive comments on Costco.

Costco is surely helping reduce the population of people who lose their mind because they lost their hearing, and thus all social contact.

LONG LIVE COSTCO!

elijah lovejoy, ph.d

retired from U C Santa Barbara and from the

Department of State, USA

lovejoyelijah@gmail.com

to Larry A Boles Tukwila, Washington, United States #685726

THANKS for writing, Larry.

Many dispensers knock Costco, because they believe Costco may put them out of business..

If they were to match on price and provide better service, what would happen?

They could start by matching the fine trial and return options.

Hmmmmmmm.

Elijah

Anyone who pays more than 300 bucks for a hearing aid aught to see a shrink.

I wore hearing aids all my life, I know what they pay for them and here is another clue: the all in the ears are much less than behind the ear.

They do not pay much more than 150 bucks for any hearing aid and charge the consumer 12,000% over thier cost .. go figure

I guess you are saying to go to Costco with an idea of which hearing aids they carry, do a bit of research, then make sure they are fitted correctly, and get them back in the 30 days that you are allowed to return if not satisfied?

#120823

Went to Costco in Westlake Village, Ca (Thousand Oaks) for a hearing test. I have a well documented mid range loss since birth, and it has become increasingly difficult for me to understand conversation. This loss had been diagnosed by the time I was 6 years old, and tracked by my ENT through my entire adult life.

As a professional journalist, I am required to interview subjects, and it was becoming difficult to do my job.

One problem with this sort of loss is that it is VERY difficult to fit a hearing aid of any sort that will work well. My high and low ranges are normal (this is so unusual that the Costco hearing aid dispenser tested me TWICE to make sure that she had accurate numbers, even though I had assured her that her first test was accurate). With a good high range, distortion and extraneous noises were annoying, and at worst, disorienting. I was not able to hear voices, but could hear someone tapping on a key board two offices away. I had to wait for devices with enough equalization channels so that I could select the correct frequencies to boost. This year, I decided to try both 12 and 22 channel devices.

I went to Costco for two reasons. It was convenient, and there was a price advantage that could not be denied.

What I found was a technician who took her job very seriously. I informed her in advance of the test as to what my hearing problem was. She agreed that it might be impossible to fit me with a useful hearing aid, but she went ahead with the test, and then, the tests necessary to fit the hearing aids. My choice was one of the behind the ear open type, the best that they had.

Though she was not experienced with this type of loss, her approach to programming the devices was spot on. She said " I am going to learn along with you. Tell me how these work for you"

After additional testing to program the hearing aids, she fitted them to me, explained the three settings for volume and background noise elimination, and told me to go out into the store for an hour.

I found that the hearing aids actually worked. I am familiar with psycho acoustics, so I knew that the experience would be a little strange. It was, but I could hear VOICES clearly, in a range that was usually indecipherable for me. I did hear every shopping cart as well, and the hum of the refrigerators and HVAC units.

However, I was able to use the low background noise setting, which, after about 45 minutes, gave me an ability to hear things that I had not heard clearly for several years. I was able to discriminate between background sounds, and that which I wanted to hear. It was not easy, but I could do it after only about half an hour. With the other, more primitive devices, this was impossible.

My experience with Costco is that the dispenser took her time to find a solution for me. She was knowledgeable, and had skills to give me the settings that worked.

Though I have not tried the devices yet in the real world (at home, car aircraft, motorcycle, race car), Costco was the first place that would fit me and let me try the devices for enough time to get used to them.

THIS ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH TO PURCHASE HEARING AIDS FROM COSTCO.

I did not have to buy them, or leave a deposit. Also, the dispenser was VERY interested in my evaluation of the hearing aids. I don't know which manufacturer I purchased, but I pick them up in two weeks.

I had been to several other hearing aid dispensers, and several ENTs over the years. None had ever done such a thorough test of my hearing, and non had even attempted to try a solution with a multi channel device.

There is nothing wrong with Costco's service when it comes to fitting hearing aids.

John

If you check every complaint on hearing aids on this forum you will see that Alsip Magistrate has pretty well had something to say on all of them plus all the post he makes on his own. Me thinks he is someone who is locked away for his own good but has access to the internet.

If you google Alsip Magistrate, you can read his praise of Sam's Club's sales of hearing aids over the internet. Most people know better than that -unless they work there!

#42068

this article was limited in help....maybe for experieinced users...

i have a moderate almost severe hearing loss..I NEED hearing aides....I do not hear 88% of speech. I want to ensure i am getting a good buy on my hearing aides (Oticon-Vigo pro) I have no idea what to compare them to or what a reasonable fee is or if there is a lower proiced comparable hearing aid.....for two it is $4,800 two year warranty and service...great service and nice hearing aid provider....any advice or comments on the cost...thanks!

olrowe
Remsenburg-Speonk, New York, United States #23835

This man seems to making a fair analysis of Costco hearing aid dept. The price quotes are all accurate as I can determine from memory of my experience at the store.

I bought aids from costco and was very satisfied. My reasons were 3. 1. Price, and 2.

The services were no different that other places that I had bought from. 3. I have found that Costco has done the research for you to find the best quality regardless of price on ALL products. Yes, you have to buy large quantities, but the value is superior.

If I could find a local shop that could provide the quality, price and service I receive at Costco, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

VIVA the small business man. Alas, greed makes fools out of all of us.