A couple, (a man and a woman-there was a time when I wouldn't have had to state that fact) who have been married to each other (there was a time when I wouldn't have had to state that fact) visited my office for a consultation and evaluation,on the Husband's hearing problems.

The Man had a delightful personality, as did his Wife, and she was very tolerant,patient,and understanding of her Husband's problem.

The Hearing Aid User, had been under chemotherapy treatments for Cancer, for the past year, and they both felt that those treatments had a delerterious affect on the Husband's hearing loss.

I'm sure it did, but it also saved his life. He still functions very well, even though he uses Hearing Aids.

As is not uncommon, while he suffers from what we classify as a severe to profoud hearing loss, especially in the higher frequencies, where it is mot critical to understanding the spoken word correctly, he also is very sensitive to loud sounds and input.

This problem is called: Dynamic Range, which means he needs a lot of amplification to hear, but becomes very uncomfortable when the amplification is about 10 DB higher than his MCL (Most Comfortable Level) and so he is aperfect candidate for Digital Signal Processing, which provides features to limit his exposure to loud sounds.

He was wearing Electone Digital Hearing Aids, Full Shell or In-the-ear (ITE) with a power circuit.

The model of Hearing Aid, was classified as Entry Level, which basically means, within the industry, it is the cheapest hearing aid a Manufacturer offers.

The conflict is, that this Man paid a former COSTCO Hearing Aid Dispenser, now self-employed, with her own Independent Office, $2,800 each, for the Entry Level Hearing Aid.

Among other features, it did not provide any feed-back management feature. There were very few adjustments availabl, and Electone said it was a single channel hearing aid.

This is a case, where Man paid for what he thought was a Cadillac, and instead received a Chevy.

I didn't know what to say.

How do you tell somebody that they have been taken advantage of.

How are they to know?

I took Impressions of his ears, and will let him try some Siemens BTE's to see if he can understand speech better.

The proof of the pudding is in the eatng.

The 48 Year Old Salesman that I tested yesterday, came in this afternoon to be fitted with new Rexton Revo open-fit hearing aids.

He said, at this point, he has never been more impressed with Hearing Aids.

They can't be seen by anyone, and he doesn't feel plugged up.

In fact he said it didn't feel like he even had Hearing Aids in his Ear, which is the main attraction of Open-Fit Hearing Aids.

Time will tell.

Today had several interesting experiences.

In the end, the Hearing Aid User will determine how well the Hearing Aids function.

And even at our reduced prices, whether the Hearing Aids are worth the money.

For further information call: Eugenia Mironoff @ (800)432-7114

Alsip Magistrate

Comments

I just went to Costco with my wife in Greenville SC, and Jeremy was very congenial, and seemed to know his job. He took all the time needed to answer any questions we had.

We now have had our aids for three days, and are still trying to get accustomed to them, Really loud noises. :-)) I will comment on my future experiences, as I know I will as my wife will be going back several times for adjustments. This was also related to us by Jeremy as he said, it takes time to get accustomed to what we really need. Remember, our brain has turned off sounds that we are now hearing, and needs to get re-accustomed to them.

Time will tell. So far satisfied, and the price is right.

Obviously those of you that have commented on Costco's practices have never set foot inside a Costco Hearing Aid Center. Costco offers Premium and Advanced level product from three different manufacturers (Bernafon,ReSound, & Rexton at entry level pricing.

Why anyone would feel the need to purchase entry level circuits when they can get the best for the same price is far beyond me. My advice is to try it for yourself before you hop on a smear campaign and if there are individuals who have had less than stellar experiences it is always better to notify management so that these problems will not become a regular occurence.

Glad to see this information.its very useful for eneryone.thanks for sharing this post.

Hearing Aid

This article is BS. I went to Costco & no way were they like this guy portrays.

No way. If this really happened, costco would refund that guys money.

Heck they were willing to refund the cost of a 6 year old LCD monitor for me. That is how generous costco is.

Pacific Hearing Care in Honolulu inflates their hearing aid prices by promising LIFETIME MAINTENANCE SERVICE. Now with technology improving every minute/day, who will keep one set of hearing aids for their lifetime?

Try to get your monies back for the inflated lifetime maintenance service, I wish you a lifetime of luck.

I have had four hearing aids in 10 years. I am about to buy my fifth, an open fit type.

Its wonderful to be able to trial the unit at the clinic. I am a health care professional at a major University where I initially received service. I have used Costco for the last three units. The audiologist is superb.

The selection is limited but the units are very high quality as validated by University audiologists and colleagues.

The price is very competative at $1299 for a single unit. This is very important to me as I am very active and more than one were destroyed by accident.

$2800 EACH for ENTRY Level hearing aids at Costco? REALLY, EUGENE...REALLY?

That's a bald-faced LIE! I was at Costco yesterday and their most expensive aids are only $1299 each...Feeling like the gravy days of easy money for your business are starting to come to an end, Eugene?

I too am looking for information about REAL customer experience with hearing aid purchases from Costco, and ALL I'm finding is EVERY board is SPAMMED by over-priced franchise owners pumping their business. WE are DONE with franchises who charge $6,000-10,000 a pair for hearing aids.

:cry

EDDIE WHO RUNS THE LA MESA STORE JUST LOST A OLD CUSTERM,EVEN IF HE HAS NO ONE THERE HE WOUN'T TALK TO YOU FOR 2 MINS. I BEEN THERE 4 DIFFENT DAY WHEN HE WASN'T BUSSY AND COUN'T GET ANY HELP.THEY GO TO LUNCH BUT NO SIGNS UP WHEN ANY ONE WILL BE BACK. TODAY HE WAS JUST WLKING AROUND THE STORY

So....

price...

quality...

hearing test dependent recs....

this place has it

www.hearingaiddocs.com

check it out

to HearingAid***sumer Tukwila, Washington, United States #684665

pure marketing.

Costco sells a limited selection of hearing aids. Very limited.

to Milton Cooper Tukwila, Washington, United States #684572

sounds like a private fitter, trying to stop the huge migration to Costco.

i wager milton will be working for Costco soon, if he is good enough.

i have only two ears, and believe most of costco's bte and RIC aids would be dandy.

Costco saved me with good Rexton aids 3 years ago. i was starting to avoid social interaction, on the road to depression.

they will not be stopped. which is great for the HOH.

and good for employees of independent shops who need to find a new employer! as their customers move to prices 50 % lower -- at Costco.

elijah lovejoy, ph.d

retired from the u of calif.

Many factors are involved in fitting a hearing aid or two. Lifestyle, audiogram, dicrimination, and checkbook are all factors.

If someone has a limited lifestyle(not going out much) they don't need premium hearing instruments unless they have difficult loss to fit. A flat loss is easier to fit then a sloped loss and only someone who knows what they are doing can recomend the appropriate fit. Also watch out for return times and fitting fee's. Do you get loss and damage coverage and how much will they charge you as a deductable.

Anyone you go to that doesn't allow you to walk out..

isn't worth going to. The harder the sell the faster you should run

Just an FYI Electone & Rexton are sister companies and both owned by Siemens, just an FYI :)

Also, analog hearing aids are sometimes all people can afford or all that medicaid will cover for a particular state. Also, as we all know the more time passes more sophisticated technology becomes cheaper, so maybe at the time the analog aid was purchased it was cheaper than digital.

This is an attempt for a little free gratuitous advertising. Who else will pat this poor little Audi on the back but themselves.

:cry Get a life. If you ask a bricklayer how to build a house, he'll say, with bricks????

Ronks, Pennsylvania, United States #8325

:upset

I'm looking for info in hearing aids and all I find are your sales pitch over and over. Please go away.