Dear Consumer: I'm writing on the behalf of all people that wear Hearing Aids. I think that hearing cost to much for the elder or younger people who need to understand people when they are talking to them.

One thing that insurance company should help pay for them. I say that because I wear a hearing aid in both ear and it cost 4,988.00 for the both of them together. What is that one of my hearing got lost and other just wasn't picking up the sound I was missing. I went back to the company I brought them from they charge me deductible for the cost was $200.00.

I was also making payment on the hearing aids until I got behind on my bills so I was not able to any payment for while. They told me in order get my hearing aids back I had to pay in full with the balance that was left over. I think very much that people health insurance should cover hearing aid for people that need them. I hope very much that health insurance can come too agree on this because it just cost to much for anyone to buy or they should down on the prices for hearing aids.

I'm crying out for help so people want have to pay alot of money for their hearing aids. I hope that I got my point across.

Comments

Denver, Colorado, United States #720791

I couldn't agree more. The Lyric in the canal hearing aide is excellent but cost $3,500 per year and more at some centers.

Really???? I think it is time that this industry is investigated for over pricing their products.

Merideth

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #373561

All the technology that there is does not merit the cost that the hearing impaired are paying for hearing aids. You can paint all the pictures you want, but anybody who buys a hearing aid is getting ripped off. Plain and simple.

to Huh? York, Pennsylvania, United States #664169

It cost an average of $300.00 to make a good hearing aid, they add a $1000.00 to that, the retailer pays $1300.00 and adds on $2000.00, this is a fact, and medicare pays nothing

Make sure the company that you purchase from is a true hearing aid manufacturer and not a reseller from China. Has the FDA inspected their facility recently, does the company hold any patents for their product, etc..

Patents are the important part. It shows if a company is actually creating a product and knows what they are doing or is just gluing parts together from China.

I wore a set pf Phonaks for years and when I went to replace them I was astounded by how much my local audi wanted for a new set. After a bit of research I found an internet company called HearSource.com.

I wear and like very much their hearing aids. I have a high frequency hearing loss and I wear open ear hearing aids. I paid less than $2,00 for the set. They originally came preprogrammed for my loss and with equipment for me to do the changes / fine tuning myself including the software, cords and programmer.

HearSource provides excellent support.

For all of us trying to find a reasonably priced set of digital aids, I recommend that you look at them. I am glad I did.

www.hearingaidsnow.com is amazing...do not pay all that money...please. Been wearing hearing aids since I was 5, now middle aged and ripped off, paid over $4,ooo.

oo for 2 hearing aids, downright wrong. almost profoundly deaf, I do not like the retail prices, they mark them up too much and charge for everything...

I have been wearing hearing aids since the age of 7 due to a childhood illness. (Middle age now). I know first hand the financial challenges that impact individuals and families of the hearing impaired. Never easy choices.

There is hope and what I believe a viable choice for the first time. A company in Texas offers both reasonable repairs and a installment pay plan, similiar to a cellphone contract. New aids every 4 years and include maintenance, repairs and batteries. There is a one time fitting fee but the company will provide a travel voucher up to $500 to travel to their offices.

For any manufacturer repairs at a nominal cost including a 12 months warranty, visit WWW.hearinghaven.com. Contact TC, the customer service Rep for questions.

For new hearing aids every 4 years at a cost between $70-$100

month, depending on 1-2 aids and types, visit WWW.hearingaidsforlife.com. Free 30 day trial according to the website.

Hope this helps us all.

JO

3 Putt

To all "distributors", which comes first, your clients needs or your bottom line, clients need be damned, its your bottom line and everyone knows or should know it!!!!

Be mad at your insurance compnay not the Hearing Aid company. There is alot of over head in running a business.

Besides most hearing aid specialists make between 35-60k per year. Take your doctor for example, he prolly makes 150-200k per year.

But your insurance company helps with those costs. Un fortunatly a hearing aid is a prostetic, For example, if you were to have your leg amputated, your insurance would cover most of the surgery, but if you would want a "prostetic leg" they would cover next to nothing..

Professional

Most small hearing aid companies don't have Buying power like warehouse sales departments do. Unfortunately, the professionals end up paying 2-3 times the amount that wholesale clubs do, which means the price they must charge to make ends meet and provide a clean and quiet environment is higher in the end.

Profits for manufacturers are re-invested into research in hearing, and why certain settings DON'T help certain wearers with certain types of loss. The next best technology doesn't pay for itself to be discovered or advertised. It would help everyone if hearing aids were not considered a cosmetic device by most insurance companies. Help in coverage is severely lacking~I agree.

Medicare just cut off it's hearing aid program this year, along with many other services. The more people we have voicing the need for help, the better. If we could get more people hearing better, we would definitely see the prices go down. That's also why the warehouse sales model works...

they sell VOLUME.. so they can negotiate a lower price for the products they want to sell. It's a catch 22.

By the way, we have a hereditary hearing loss in my family, and I have worn hearing aids for years. I can understand BOTH sides of the issue.

Hearing aids are a steal. How much would you charge to help someone who doesn't feel well, has a damaged nerve which won't transmit correctly to their brain, listen to endless stories even their own spouse no longer wants to hear, complains about their "fixed income" from their pension, thinks insurance or the government should pay for damage to their hearing that they most likely caused, and deal with people who are confused, isolated and paranoid?

I think that may be worth $1000s alone! Then add the cost of advertising, R & D, keeping an office open to hold their hand along, and for the technology itself. Hearing aids are a steal. What's it worth to have a formally educated Audiologist to work with you to overcome the isolation, paranoia, confusion, and depression caused by being unable to communicate with others?

From my perspective it is worth a lot more than $4000! It works out to be about $2.25 a day.

A better quality of life for $2.25 a day, it's a steal! It's a matter of perspective.

#262016

Yes Sir! Most hearing aids cost way to much. I will explain to you why, and what a few companys have done to make hearing aids more afforable.

1). $425.00 on average is the cost of advertising spent by the dispenser to sell one hearing aid.

2). A stand alone hearing aid office is very expensive to keep open, rents, lights, insurance, personel.

3). Most but not all dispensers are paid on comission from 10-20% of the sale price.

Right now there are two companys that are doing things differently. SAMS CLUB AND COSTCO.

1) They do not advertise in the local paper or TV...that saves $425.00 per hearing aid right there.

2) As the "Hearing Department" is a small area inside a big store, the overhead is extremely low. I work at Costco the monthy cost in electricy etc for my small area is figured to cost the warehouse $157.00 a month.

3) Costco nor Sams' pay a commission. They pay there hearing health care professionals a good salery. The push is toward GREAT MEMBER SERVICE, and taking care of the member. Costco has been in the hearing aid field for 13 years. Costco is the 2ed largest retailer of hearing aids nation wide. Sams has been into hearing aids for only a couple of years, but that department within Sams is growning, and will continue to grow. The net results to the consumer is that the $5000-$6000 hearing aids sold by the local Beltone or Miracle Ear dealer will sell for $1800-2700 A PAIR at Sams or Costco. You will also get longer warranties. And true satisfaction or money refunded. ALL money, neither Sams nor Costco charge you to return hearing aids. At Costco that is a 90 day trial period.

So while there are a lot of factors causing the price of hearing aids to be out of the reach of a lot of people, 2 WAREHOUSE CLUBS do in fact have a better way of doing things. Kuddos to Sams!

Costco Rocks!

Larry Boles, Kendall FL

I have been wearing hearing aids for many years. I have tried them all.

I recently was convinced to try Sam's Club, not the ones they have online but inside the club. I live in Lady Lake, Fl. Kim, the professional that fitted me was the best. She gave me the most thorough test Ive ever had, explained it to me so that I understood my loss for the first time and listened to me.

Everyone else just wanted to sell me something. She fitted me with hearing aids for 2000.00. I love them. She is always available with professionalism and a warm smile.

I was so hesitant to go to a Sam's Club for hearing aids but now would never go anywhere else. Hearing aids for 2000.00 and a lifetime of serice with a true professional.

HearingRevolution.com is doing what it can to bring down the cost of hearing aids. SAMeyeAM, you should check us out too. We provide a very competitive fee for your time.

Dispensers do not control the market place. I am one and I would love it if hearing aids were more affordable.

I care about my patients and wish I gould only fit the hearing aids, I do not like the money part. We do not make much.

If you are a hearing aid user - go to wwww.eartrak.com to voice your opinion. Let other consumers know about your experience.

#203094

ALL EARS HEARING CENER IN EASTGATE PLAZA, AKRON OHIO IS THE BEST PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH. THE OWNERS ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE WORN HEARING AIDS FOR MOST OF THEIR LIVES AND REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT HEARING LOSS IS ALL ABOUT, THEY PERSONALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR CLIENTS WELL-BEING.

I HAVE BEEN REFERRING ALL MY HARD OF HEARING FRIENDS TO ALL-EARS HEARING AND EVERYONE REALLY LOVES THE SERVICE AND THEY GET A GOOD PRICE ON HIGH END HEARING AIDS, YOU CAN CONTACT ALL-EARS HEARING AR: (330) 784-5111 - THEIR ADRESSS IS: 530 CANTON ROAD, AKRON OHIO IN THE EASTGATE PLAZA, BEEN THEIR FOR 20 YEARS... :)

#197839

Its Bullsh-t how much they charge and how little service you get in return !

I could have had a good used car for what I paid for these !

Everytime I go back to my provider, it's my fault that whatevers wrong is wrong !!!

I knw machines and electronics.

These things are *** !!!

My hearing aids cost about the same, but the service that I receive is worth it. Whenever I have a problem it's one phone call and a short drive and my solution is found. To me, five or six years of hearing wonderfully is worth $5,000.

But you did pay for their diabetes testing or their children's physical therapy after their sports accident.