American Home Shield - Heated

On February 19, 2019 the service provider diagnosis problem with Gas Furnace (Heating unit). The part must be ordered and will take 5-7

working days. Today is March 11, 2019 and I found out on

Saturday, March 9, 2019, that the part is now on recall.

Please tell me why someone could not tell me this prior so that I may make an intelligent decision about the best alternative for my household budget.

Communications and interpersonal skills should be improved.

As a home warranty preferrrd contractor, I’ll be happy to explain the reason for the delay; however, it will not make you feel at ease. The reason is simple: money.

You pay the premiums on the policy to AHS, usually $500-1000 per year, depending on your coverage plan. AHS keeps every penny of that money, even if you need a new furnace. The contracted HVAC company servicing your furnace can’t (and refuses) to charge AHS for the service AND parts, because AHS will replace the contractor. The contractor first looks for a reason to deny your claim, based on the coverage, determined by the contract.

They look for damage, power surges, etc. If there can be no denial, then it is up to the HVAC contractor to fix it (however possible to make it run), and all they can charge AHS is the service fee (which you paid to AHS up front, when you filed the claim). So AHS is out nothing. The contractor has the ability to charge the customer, you, for certain non-covered items, like modifications to fit a new unit, or freon.

If there are no non-covered items that can’t be charged to you, the customer, the HVAC contractor must provide the parts, new furnace, and labor for this service FOR FREE. That is the price of being an AHS contractor. Why would an HVAC contractor do this, you ask? It just doesn’t make any sense; how can they possibly agree to do this?

Well, it is for VOLUME of calls, in hopes that enough denials, non-covered items and service fees without doing major service work will come through in the high volume of claims. AHS will bombard the provider that handles their claims the cheapest, so the goal of the contractor is not to charge above the service fee that you paid, even if it means they are working for free and providing the parts, materials, and as a last resort, new furnaces. On many of the claims, the contractor will lose money, just to keep going working for AHS. That equates to lousy service and long delays.

They are in no hurry to lose money, and work on your furnace for free. They will delay in order to hopefully get through the heating season, and hopefully you will go away. They also hope to get a recall if it takes long enough. Then they will get another service fee out of you.

Check out the reviews of the service provider. Horrible, aren’t they?

It’s not because they don’t want to do a good job; it’s that they CANT do a good job because of the pay structure. Does this answer your question?

Order processing issue
Review #1490079 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1490079.

American Home Shield - Furnace issues

1.9

My warranty replaced furnace didn’t last a year until problems started. AHS came out and after the third Technician, someone rebuilt the insides and chalked it up to a manufacturer problem.

A year later, I had the AHS furnace inspection where they told me everything looked fine. A month after that, my furnace is now buzzing again

Since AHS doesn’t pay for the work that is done, but instead the contractors themselves do it for free except for your service fee and non-covered charges that you might have paid, there is no quality control in your repairs. All the contractor has to do is get it up and running as cheaply as possible.

The HVAC company is especially interested in the job being cheap because it is HE not AHS that is footing the bill. AHS only pays the flat rate of $200 per heating claim regardless of how many hours or parts are needed. The contractors they use are enslaved and will go under if AHs stops sending them calls. Once AHS takes hold of a small business and ruins their reputation, they can’t survive in the retail market.

AHS becomes their only source of business. It does no good to advertise because customers will spit when they hear the name of the AHS contractor. Would you recommend anybody you’ve met through AHS? The contractors were once hopeful on starting their new business and doing quality work and getting paid reasonably, but once they sign up with AHs the trap is sprung.

They start getting a bunch of calls and think, this is awesome!!!! But a few months in, their AHs contractor relations rep starts lowering the boom on their pricing. They yank the choke chain and “train” them how everything that isn’t a denial will be paid for under the $200 cap per call, out of the contractor’s pocket. The paperwork is a nightmare and the reps at AHS are as bad for the contractors as they are the customers.

Everyone has the same objective: protecting AHS. The contractors would rather do good work and get paid for it, like any other business model, but AHS won’t have ANY part of that. They want complete cost control. They have their contractors providing and installing new HVAC systems for $200!

The contractors don’t want to do it like that and they try their best to get every claim denied so they don’t have to. Then they make up a bunch of inflated non-covered charges like freon or modifications so they can charge the homeowner. The homeowners balk at that but they are in AHS’ trap too. Break out of the trap and that is the only way to stop this insanity.

The AG or insurance commission or BBN is not ever going to stop AHS because they aren’t violating anything.

Everyone is a willing participant who can walk away at any time. Realtors will always use them to help close house sales.

Bad quality
Review #1460864 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - No heat since Jan 14 2019

On Jan 15 2019 they sent actions mechanical out to my house he told me it was the coil needed to be clean. American home shield 1st contractor still not working.

The next day Jan 16 I hired my own contractor he said it was the heat exchange I then called them back so they sent out a 2nd contractor which was Blatz they said it was the heat exchange to and was putting in for a replacement it would take 3 to 5 days. I was calling the company everyday so I ask to speak with supervisor they was always on a call I never gotten a call back at all. So I call back to check on when a contractor will replace my furnace. The agent then tell me that Blatz don't work on Goodman Furnace right.

So then they sent another contractor out which was BCI he said it was the heat exchange I call this morning still no supervisor call back as of Jan 26 2019. I Am tired and fed up no one from this company will help me.

I guess I will have to call the news people or get a lawyer because it will be another 3 to 5 days before I hear something. Please help me my name is Emma Boey 314-400-1122 I need help ASAP no heat since Jan 14 2019.

Only a licensed gas plumber can legally replace your heat exchanger or your furnace. You will need a permit and an inspection also.

Make sure AHS is sending someone who is qualified to do this gas repair. Please update with how that discussion goes.

Furnace Repair
Cons
Thirty minute to two hours waiting for customer service, Failed to come as promised and never called, No supervisor to discuss with
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1457453 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Who is assigned to check out my Heating Unit

on 01-18-19, I contacted your Company to have some one to come and check out my Heating Unit. Your Company assigned Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning and also your Company assigned Hub Refrigeration and Fixture Company.

On 01-23-19 I haven't heard from either Company. I contacted Four Seasons Heating and Air, to see if they could advise me when they could give me an appointment to check out my Heating unit. I was advised that the contract was taken from them and given to Hub Refrigeration. I then contacted Hub Refrigeration and they advised me that they have not been given a contract nor have they been contacted by American Home Shield.

They stated that they have only been working with American Home for one (1) week.

But I was advised that they would call American Home Shield and they would contact me. Please contact me and advise what is going on.

Order processing issue
Review #1455262 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Nicor Home Solutions - Poor customer service experience

January 2018 Nicor replace a blower and other repairs on our furnace. In November the furnace stopped working, they came out and told us the blower was bad.

They replace the blower because is was still under warrantee and also install a new supposed to be programmable thermostat costs us almost $300. Since then we have been having problems with the furnace where the temp on the thermostat drops to 63 degrees from the 69 where it is set at. We literally have to go down to the furnace and flip the switch to turn it back on to get the heat back in the house. We were told by a tech who came out to clean the furnace, "oh they didn't install a programable thermostat so you'll have to keep doing that.

We also tried to explain the situation to another tech on 1/12, he basically said, it is a furnace problem and since its not an emergency because we have heat, he doesn't have time and said "have a good day ma'am and hung up on us. We have had other poor service experience this year with out refrigerator. Your technicians do not seem to care and I would not recommend the service to anyone.

Nicor, Home Solutions should first, have people who cares about your customers when there's an issue. Sad

PivotalHomeSolutionsCares
Nicor Home Solutions Verified Representative

Good morning. Unfortunately, we cannot assist you without any contact information.

If you are still experiencing an issue, or if you have questions, please reach back out to us. Thank you.

PivotalHomeSolutionsCares
Nicor Home Solutions Verified Representative

Good morning. We are sorry to hear you aren't satisfied with our services.

Could you please send an email to emailsphs@gmail.com with your contact information so that an account specialist can be in touch to discuss your situation? Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Suggestion : dump the programmable and get a nice simple old fashioned thermostat. There's a flaw in the control system and that's where it begins.

I'm surprised about blower problems ; it's simply a fan with either an on-off switch or variable resistor running setup.

Very simple and not often prone to failure. I'm not sure they even diagnosed that properly but would suspect it's a method of undertrained repairmen : keep replacing parts until it works.

View more comments (2)
Naperville, Illinois
Poor customer service
Review #1447143 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Its January 4th, 2019 and I have been without heat since Novemeber 19th, 2018

1.1

Update by user Jan 05

insurence for home repaire

Original review posted by user Jan 04

I called for a heater repair and they sent a company out, who replaced the motherboard in the heater. That company had to return because it was still not working and they recommended replacement.

AHS sent 2nd Company , who replaced the mother board a (which took them 2 visits) and still didn't work.. were called back and then they replaced gas valve and said heater putting Co2 into houses. AHS sent 3rd company out who said that gas valve is wrong one and no Co2 but to much oxygen. so here we are today with AHS sending 2nd company back out to fix gas valve an offer for reimbursement for space heaters up t 150.00 (which you cant run at night when its coldest of have on when gone..

2nd co, cant come until 9th of January want to bet no heat all winter.

During the month and half of no heat the dryer quit and I called and then had to call company they sent myself to gat a appointment and it was several days out.

I called AHS and they found a co, that could come in timely manner and then canceled that appointment for no reason on day of service at 645am without even a courtesy call and after hold for over an hour no explanation..

The time off work for all of this is huge and time on hold averaged an hour each time.. Still no resolution on either case.

The furnace needs replacing. They’re trying to string it along until springtime.

You will not like to hear this, but the reason they can’t seem to get it together is because your furnace is not costing AHS anything. The contractors (all 3 of them) are spending their own money trying to get your furnace working as cheaply as possible, but you know it needs to be replaced, and they know it needs to be replaced. The problem with home warranties is that the contractors they use only get home warranty work (because their reputation gets shot the longer they work with home warranties—how do you feel about recommending them? And if you had money you wanted to spend on a new furnace, would you hire any of these 3?) You are probably livid with all 3 contractors, and telling everyone who will listen.

But the each of 3 contractors are playing hot potato with your work order, trying to pass the costs on to one of the other 2. If a claim denial possible from the beginning, the first contractor would have gone that route. Maybe they tried getting AHS to deny the claim but AHS decided to “cover” it. Now you are the hot potato.

Somebody is going to have to pay a crappload of money to replace every part in your furnace one at a time, but it won’t be AHS. It will be the contractor who runs out of excuses last. The runaround game can last until spring. How much does punishing the contractors appeal to you?

They get paid a flat rate sughtly above what your set service fee was. And it does t matter how many trips and parts they use—it is their requirement by AHS in order to stay on the list. The one with the lowest average cost per claim is usually their primary vendor. AHS Call volume is determined by AHS Contractor Relations.

It’s a political nightmare, that you, the consumer, are feeding with your premiums. AHS gets the premiums every month, but spends nothing on you, but instead sends you contractors to fight it out and pass the problem around. They will all deny it if you ask any of them, if they want to keep their gig going with AHS. They are slaves and drones for AHS, because the angry warranty customers ensure that they can’t operate amongst regular paying customers.

They just rely on a ton of calls coming in and hope that more of them will be “quick fixes with no parts needed”. Unfortunately, the equipment AHS “covers” is worn out Frankenstein garbage, or else why would anyone pay for a home warranty? If it was new or even well-maintained, quick fixes might be possible, but ALL home warranty customers are literally hoping their equipment will die, and as soon as they get all new equipment, they plan to cancel the warranty.

Would love to hear someone else chime in on this. Especially any of their contractors.

You should have saved the money spent on the scurrilous vendor and simply handled your own repairs. It is insane to be held hostage by some bogus "warranty" (read : sleazy insurance company) when you could have been warm and happy while supporting local business.

There is no rational reason to insert a 3rd party between you and the efficiency of your home operation. Your jobs are grudgingly being subcontracted to the lowest bidder and poorly coordinated by a bored, grumpy out of state insurance adjuster type mentality while you, having already paid these people likely enough moolah to fix whatever trouble you're having, suffer.

View more comments (1)
Memphis, Tennessee
Tags
  • Dont Hold Your Breath
Pros
It seemed like a great company at first
Cons
Placated to and transfered and hung up on, Customer service
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered
Review #1440769 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Substandard Service

Our furnace broke down on November 29th. A repairman arrived within 1 day. We were told the furnace required a part that was not locally available. We were told that the part was in North Carolina and it would take 5 business days to receive it. Transport by ground was the method of shipping used.

Today is December 5th. We still have no furnace and have not been contacted regarding any firm future repair date. After further research I found that the part we needed for our furnace could have been procured locally and our furnace fixed in 1 day but because of AHS policies we have been 5 days without heat and dependent on space heaters.

If you are purchasing an AHS warranty do your research. Parts will only be procured from providers contracted with AHS. If the parts contractor provides overnight service, not all of them do, you are responsible to pay for the cost of shipping. There is no absolutely guarantee that your service will be timely service.

Again, AHS appears to be a middle man who contracts with service providers and parts suppliers to deliver service. Theirs no guarantee of the timely provision of service. AHS will not purchase a part locally to complete a job. They will only procure parts from their contracted sources. In our case, no furnace in Utah in December is not considered an emergency or priority for AHS. The parts for our furnace were ground transported from an AHS contracted provider in North Carolina with an expected delivery date of 5 business days. Consequently, this is our 5th day that we will be trying to heat our home with space heaters. We have no date for the completion of the repairs.

My best advice...DO YOUR RESEARCH.

I can attest to the fact that the absolute cheapest means possible will be used to fix anything. If the furnace part could have been avoided altogether by the contractor, that would have been the case.

More disturbingly, In many cases, the part is actually available or even in hand, but they can’t get a tech back out to install it for several more days—so they have to tell you something to avoid a confrontation. If they told you the part was sitting there on the desk, you would come unglued. So they tell everyone that it hasn’t arrived yet. Demanding the tracking number will get you nowhere.

Try it and see if you can get the tracking number of the package. Home warranties are discounted service plans, not top notch service plans. You really must choose between speed and money to decide which is the most important. The best advice if you are in this situation at this point is to ask for a cashout option from the options department and not wait on the part.

Call another reputable service provider not affiliated with home warranty companies and get it fixed immediately. Then pursue the option of cashing out. The amount will be less than half of what the actual job costs. Believe it or not, it will be more $ than the AHS contractor will receive for the job.

The Ahs contractor has to keep your total job cost down to below $225 or AHS will fire him. Doesn’t matter how he does it.

He is operating a high volume of calls in order to make up for the low dollar amount, and doesn’t get paid again for coming back with the part. It’s a screwed up system.

Order processing issue
Review #1416022 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1416022.

American Home Shield - Poor service and no service

1.7

Update by user Dec 06, 2018

As of 12-6-18 I still have no service for my gas furnace .

Original review posted by user Dec 05, 2018

11-21-18 I had no heat from my gas furnace which was the entire Thanksgiving week. On 11-26-18 a contractor came and said the problem was fixed and I paid a 75.00 service fee.

On11-28-18 my was again not turning on.Again the same contractor came back to my home for the same problem and said the problem was fixed. On 12-4-18 the furnace was off again.The same contractor was contacted. Today 12-5-18 the contractor reported to me that AHS was sending someone else for a second opinion .

The problem is I have not heard fromAHS it is 32 degrees.

I am now on hold with AHS AND HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR 35 min. and waiting

Solution: call your own repair company, and get estimates for buying new furnace or HVAC system in case you have to. Use backup heat (which should be available at a store nearby.

Ask to speak to AHS cash in lieu department also known as the Options Department. Don’t wait on them. It won’t be heating again until after New Years. Parts will take forever.

Multiple trips might be necessary. You might be in for a cold one unless you take matters into your own hands. AHS is only paying the companies that come out $200, no matter what your furnace needs. Call a separate company and ask them how much it should cost.

Please update with how this turns out. Very interested to see if it plays out to your advantage, and what the timeframe for repairs is.

Furnace Repair
Cons
Customer service and dependable contractors
Loss
Full refund
Review #1415835 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - 3 days for heat.....maybe

This was my first experience with a 24/7 emergency service with American Home Shield. I called around 9am to report my gas furnace was not working.

I received a prompt phone call back from the repair company, however they stated that they would not be able to come out until Monday morning (today is Friday). I explained to the tech that my husband (65) was sick and that the furnace hadn't run all night so it was already cold. He was very nice and felt bad, but explained that because it had not been put in as a priority, that Monday was the day. He recommended that I call AHS and see if I could get it changed, I did they said no.

Evidently not having heat is not an emergency, even if your sick.......I guess I missed it in the fine print, my bad. Maybe the microwave is more important.

After canceling my appointment with AHS for ( 3 days from now ), the first company I called (who I have never used) will be here shortly.

SHAME ON YOU AMERICAN SHIELD! AND GOODBYE, WILL NOT RENEW

You are a lucky one. I have been without heat since the end of October 2017.

It is February 27,2018 STILL no heat.

2 companies they sent out both messed things up so badly. AHS took their sweet time with everything.

Update to earlier posted review, WE HAVE HEAT, only 2 hours after contacting our own repair company! Not 3 days, and folks wait for it , wait for it, our repair bill was only $116.00 including parts and labor.

View more comments (1)
Furnace Repair
Cons
Dont like
Poor customer service
Review #1196011 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1196011.

American Home Shield - Terrible service & inferior or incompetent serrvice providers.

1.2

01-04-18, Made a service call to AHS on 01-02-18 re my furnace not heating the house. When received call from the service provider, she was very polite.

She scheduled my appointment for 01-03-18 between 8 & 12 . The company name was Cecil & Sons. The gentleman name Carlton arrived before 12. He had a bag of tools with him.

I explained to him what the problem was. He asked to see the furnace, I took him to the furnace. He looked at the furnace with a flashlight on his phone and said it's running. I explained to him I know it's running but it is not heating the first level of the house.

He never touched a pipe or the furnace. Wrote info off the furnace and went up stairs. He did not flush radiators or touch them He did not go to the second level of the house. He than told me, "Maybe you need to put thicker curtains or drapes to the windows.

I just put new windows in and did not need a decoration coach. He did absolutely nothing and took 2 phone calls while he was in my home. He was here less than 45 mins. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH AMERICAN HOME SHIELDS INFERIOR SERVICES.

THE Y COLLECT YOUR MONEY MONTHLY. HOLD YOU ON THE PHONE FOR HOURS ON SERVICE CALLS. THEN SEND ANY JOE BLOW OR WHOMEVER TO YOUR HOME. THEY NEED TO REALLY SCREEN THE PEOPLE AND COMPANIES THEY SEND TO PEOPLES HOME TO PROVIDE SERVICES.

ALL THESE MOM & POP OR SON AND DAUGHTER COMPANIES ARE NOT WORKING. AMERICAN HOME SHIELDS NEEDS TO CLOSE THEIR DOORS FOR GOOD. STOP PRETENDING TO DO A SERVICE IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO DO IT WELL. YOU HAVE TAKEN ENOUGH OF PEOPLES MONEY AND DENIED GOOD SERVICES TO PEOPLE.

YOU HAVE GOTTEN YOUR LAST DIME FROM ME. PEOPLE RUN, RUN FAST DO NOT GET A WARRANTY FROM AHS, THERE MUST BE BETTER COMPANIES OUT THERE.

Bad quality
Review #1161974 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1161974.