Nicor Home Solutions - Poor customer service experience

January 2018 Nicor replace a blower and other repairs on our furnace. In November the furnace stopped working, they came out and told us the blower was bad.

They replace the blower because is was still under warrantee and also install a new supposed to be programmable thermostat costs us almost $300. Since then we have been having problems with the furnace where the temp on the thermostat drops to 63 degrees from the 69 where it is set at. We literally have to go down to the furnace and flip the switch to turn it back on to get the heat back in the house. We were told by a tech who came out to clean the furnace, "oh they didn't install a programable thermostat so you'll have to keep doing that.

We also tried to explain the situation to another tech on 1/12, he basically said, it is a furnace problem and since its not an emergency because we have heat, he doesn't have time and said "have a good day ma'am and hung up on us. We have had other poor service experience this year with out refrigerator. Your technicians do not seem to care and I would not recommend the service to anyone.

Nicor, Home Solutions should first, have people who cares about your customers when there's an issue. Sad

PivotalHomeSolutionsCares
Nicor Home Solutions Verified Representative

Good morning. Unfortunately, we cannot assist you without any contact information.

If you are still experiencing an issue, or if you have questions, please reach back out to us. Thank you.

PivotalHomeSolutionsCares
Nicor Home Solutions Verified Representative

Good morning. We are sorry to hear you aren't satisfied with our services.

Could you please send an email to emailsphs@gmail.com with your contact information so that an account specialist can be in touch to discuss your situation? Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Suggestion : dump the programmable and get a nice simple old fashioned thermostat. There's a flaw in the control system and that's where it begins.

I'm surprised about blower problems ; it's simply a fan with either an on-off switch or variable resistor running setup.

Very simple and not often prone to failure. I'm not sure they even diagnosed that properly but would suspect it's a method of undertrained repairmen : keep replacing parts until it works.

GrandioseStarfish416
Poor customer service
Review #1447143 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Substandard Service

Our furnace broke down on November 29th. A repairman arrived within 1 day. We were told the furnace required a part that was not locally available. We were told that the part was in North Carolina and it would take 5 business days to receive it. Transport by ground was the method of shipping used.

Today is December 5th. We still have no furnace and have not been contacted regarding any firm future repair date. After further research I found that the part we needed for our furnace could have been procured locally and our furnace fixed in 1 day but because of AHS policies we have been 5 days without heat and dependent on space heaters.

If you are purchasing an AHS warranty do your research. Parts will only be procured from providers contracted with AHS. If the parts contractor provides overnight service, not all of them do, you are responsible to pay for the cost of shipping. There is no absolutely guarantee that your service will be timely service.

Again, AHS appears to be a middle man who contracts with service providers and parts suppliers to deliver service. Theirs no guarantee of the timely provision of service. AHS will not purchase a part locally to complete a job. They will only procure parts from their contracted sources. In our case, no furnace in Utah in December is not considered an emergency or priority for AHS. The parts for our furnace were ground transported from an AHS contracted provider in North Carolina with an expected delivery date of 5 business days. Consequently, this is our 5th day that we will be trying to heat our home with space heaters. We have no date for the completion of the repairs.

My best advice...DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Read

I can attest to the fact that the absolute cheapest means possible will be used to fix anything. If the furnace part could have been avoided altogether by the contractor, that would have been the case.

More disturbingly, In many cases, the part is actually available or even in hand, but they can’t get a tech back out to install it for several more days—so they have to tell you something to avoid a confrontation. If they told you the part was sitting there on the desk, you would come unglued. So they tell everyone that it hasn’t arrived yet. Demanding the tracking number will get you nowhere.

Try it and see if you can get the tracking number of the package. Home warranties are discounted service plans, not top notch service plans. You really must choose between speed and money to decide which is the most important. The best advice if you are in this situation at this point is to ask for a cashout option from the options department and not wait on the part.

Call another reputable service provider not affiliated with home warranty companies and get it fixed immediately. Then pursue the option of cashing out. The amount will be less than half of what the actual job costs. Believe it or not, it will be more $ than the AHS contractor will receive for the job.

The Ahs contractor has to keep your total job cost down to below $225 or AHS will fire him. Doesn’t matter how he does it.

He is operating a high volume of calls in order to make up for the low dollar amount, and doesn’t get paid again for coming back with the part. It’s a screwed up system.

Order processing issue
Review #1416022 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1416022.
1.7

American Home Shield - Poor service and no service

Update by user Dec 06, 2018

As of 12-6-18 I still have no service for my gas furnace .

Original review posted by user Dec 05, 2018

11-21-18 I had no heat from my gas furnace which was the entire Thanksgiving week. On 11-26-18 a contractor came and said the problem was fixed and I paid a 75.00 service fee.

On11-28-18 my was again not turning on.Again the same contractor came back to my home for the same problem and said the problem was fixed. On 12-4-18 the furnace was off again.The same contractor was contacted. Today 12-5-18 the contractor reported to me that AHS was sending someone else for a second opinion .

The problem is I have not heard fromAHS it is 32 degrees.

I am now on hold with AHS AND HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR 35 min. and waiting

Read

Solution: call your own repair company, and get estimates for buying new furnace or HVAC system in case you have to. Use backup heat (which should be available at a store nearby.

Ask to speak to AHS cash in lieu department also known as the Options Department. Don’t wait on them. It won’t be heating again until after New Years. Parts will take forever.

Multiple trips might be necessary. You might be in for a cold one unless you take matters into your own hands. AHS is only paying the companies that come out $200, no matter what your furnace needs. Call a separate company and ask them how much it should cost.

Please update with how this turns out. Very interested to see if it plays out to your advantage, and what the timeframe for repairs is.

GracefulSeahorse266
I didn’t like
Customer service and dependable contractors
Loss
Full refund
Review #1415835 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - 3 days for heat.....maybe

This was my first experience with a 24/7 emergency service with American Home Shield. I called around 9am to report my gas furnace was not working.

I received a prompt phone call back from the repair company, however they stated that they would not be able to come out until Monday morning (today is Friday). I explained to the tech that my husband (65) was sick and that the furnace hadn't run all night so it was already cold. He was very nice and felt bad, but explained that because it had not been put in as a priority, that Monday was the day. He recommended that I call AHS and see if I could get it changed, I did they said no.

Evidently not having heat is not an emergency, even if your sick.......I guess I missed it in the fine print, my bad. Maybe the microwave is more important.

After canceling my appointment with AHS for ( 3 days from now ), the first company I called (who I have never used) will be here shortly.

SHAME ON YOU AMERICAN SHIELD! AND GOODBYE, WILL NOT RENEW

Read

You are a lucky one. I have been without heat since the end of October 2017.

It is February 27,2018 STILL no heat.

2 companies they sent out both messed things up so badly. AHS took their sweet time with everything.

Update to earlier posted review, WE HAVE HEAT, only 2 hours after contacting our own repair company! Not 3 days, and folks wait for it , wait for it, our repair bill was only $116.00 including parts and labor.

Dont like
Poor customer service
Review #1196011 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1196011.
1.2

American Home Shield - Terrible service & inferior or incompetent serrvice providers.

01-04-18, Made a service call to AHS on 01-02-18 re my furnace not heating the house. When received call from the service provider, she was very polite.

She scheduled my appointment for 01-03-18 between 8 & 12 . The company name was Cecil & Sons. The gentleman name Carlton arrived before 12. He had a bag of tools with him.

I explained to him what the problem was. He asked to see the furnace, I took him to the furnace. He looked at the furnace with a flashlight on his phone and said it's running. I explained to him I know it's running but it is not heating the first level of the house.

He never touched a pipe or the furnace. Wrote info off the furnace and went up stairs. He did not flush radiators or touch them He did not go to the second level of the house. He than told me, "Maybe you need to put thicker curtains or drapes to the windows.

I just put new windows in and did not need a decoration coach. He did absolutely nothing and took 2 phone calls while he was in my home. He was here less than 45 mins. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH AMERICAN HOME SHIELDS INFERIOR SERVICES.

THE Y COLLECT YOUR MONEY MONTHLY. HOLD YOU ON THE PHONE FOR HOURS ON SERVICE CALLS. THEN SEND ANY JOE BLOW OR WHOMEVER TO YOUR HOME. THEY NEED TO REALLY SCREEN THE PEOPLE AND COMPANIES THEY SEND TO PEOPLES HOME TO PROVIDE SERVICES.

ALL THESE MOM & POP OR SON AND DAUGHTER COMPANIES ARE NOT WORKING. AMERICAN HOME SHIELDS NEEDS TO CLOSE THEIR DOORS FOR GOOD. STOP PRETENDING TO DO A SERVICE IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO DO IT WELL. YOU HAVE TAKEN ENOUGH OF PEOPLES MONEY AND DENIED GOOD SERVICES TO PEOPLE.

YOU HAVE GOTTEN YOUR LAST DIME FROM ME. PEOPLE RUN, RUN FAST DO NOT GET A WARRANTY FROM AHS, THERE MUST BE BETTER COMPANIES OUT THERE.

Bad quality
Review #1161974 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1161974.
1.6

American Home Shield - Don't Waste Your Money

AHS assigned my daughters lcase for furnace repair to Arctic Heating and AC in Chesapeake Va. They called and set up a time to come look at the furnace.

My daughter could not be there but I was able to be there. The repairman took about 10 minutes and said it was a BAD igniter and a CRACKED heat exchanger. After researching this, this is a common diagnosis whether cracked or not.it also stated it takes longer than 10 minutes to make this diagnosis. II know very little about gas lfurnaces so I took him at his word.

He called his office and they said the parts are on back order. He asked when they would be in. The office said 3-5 days possibly 5-7. Is has been 6 weeks and we have heard nothing back from Arctic.

This is with temperatures in 40's and 30's with NO FURNACE. ,Despite numerous calls no return calls. Called AHS and NOTHING. After my daughter posted a bad review ASH called and asked why such a BAD review.

She explained the situation and ASH apologized, said they would investigate. They also could not get ahold of Arctic. ASH does not know my daughter has had an independent HVAC come look at her furnace and they have told her the part in NO LONGER MADE. I guess she is supposed to wait till Spring till it warms up.

After 6 weeks, numerous phone calls, long waits on line, no returned calls, cold and sleepless nights this is the end of the line.

If she ever gets it fixed it will be the last money AHS ever gets. Like I said don't waste your MONEY.

Pepzman
Loss
$2000
Full refund
Review #1156749 is a subjective opinion of poster.
1.3

American Home Shield - Furnace repair

I bought a home warranty for my buyer. The furnace went out and the first AHS tech said we needed more duct work, the townhouse being 51 years old where the property has been bought and sold many times. Never a need for more duct work

Bad quality
Review #1056213 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1056213.
2.4

American Home Shield - Never performed work and still charged me $125

I placed several of my properties with AHS thinking that they were a reputable company. Being a real estate broker, I bet my reputation that they would honor the contract and make sure they would make proper repairs in a timely manner.

My experience with them is they have contractors that are sub-par in many cases. When they send out Sears or GE, they do a great job. When they send out a mom and pop you never know what you are going to get. Case in point AC went out on our home.

It took two days for a response. The contractor said the control board went out. After two more days, tried to reach the contractor and no response. AC is used to cool homes when it is hot and humid outside.

AHS apologized and said they authorized the part and would reach out to contractor. Tried to reach contractor again and no response. I had to find my own AC repair guy who said the problem was a loose wire on motor and charged me $51.00. AHS still forced me to pay $125 service fee even though they never made any repair.

Instead of doing the right thing, they did what they did.

I do not recommend that anyone ever purchase AHS. Put your money in a savings account and use it to make any unforeseen repairs.

Tustin, California, United States #1293028

Wow!!! We are going through the exact same thing with them

~scott

I liked
Retention people tried to help
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1012942 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1012942.
1.1

Furnace Repair Review

Had furnace fail. Nearly a month went by and when techs showed up they had the wrong unit that First American ordered.

After one month and no heat and taking a day off work, all I was offered was $100 reimbursement for space heaters.

Supervisors don't call back. Will only replace parts instead of whole unit

Poor customer service
Review #1005558 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1005558.

American Home Shield - Home oil furnace

i been working with home sheild three weeks and my furnace has not been fix yet. i hope you have not paid for service that has not been finish.I have two small childern in the home and been telling this to the tech everytime we talk to him .i am paying out extra money try to keep some heat in the house.

i call home shield and stayed on the phone for 45 minute and they hang up and never came to the phone.I don,t know what the problem but this is a lack of concern from a company that duty is to fix or replace products.which is heating and air, i am not sure what is being done to the furnace when they come out because there no paper work left. i have not recieve any phone call. concerning my last service call for a recall request in the last five day.

please help me. mrs finch

Poor customer service
Review #986487 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer986487.