Angies List - Bad contractors dishonest

Was given a price for the completed job, almost from the start they started saying it would be more. They said they were using things they weren't using never had them.

I went with Angies because I was told they check out the contractors THEY DO NOT.

I had to have them leave my home. In the courts now and the mess well it's still here

Bad quality
Review #1444117 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1444117.

Unfinished work

2.0

We hired Brad Jesse to build an addition and remodel a bathroom and laundry room. Basically he never finished.

We also hired him for a few other things which we paid him extra for along the way. He asked for money for materials, and money to meet his company payroll and then money to put in his account to cover getting job insurance...blah, blah, blah. He just quit coming or answering his phone or texts for 6 and a half months....later told us he had cancer. I’m an RN and he did not appear to have been ill when he returned.

He called a few months ago and said his employees had embezzeled from him and he was being sent to federal prison for 2 years for tax fraud. He was supposed to be goi g to prison in November, so if he is not in prison I’m suing him. I even wrote him a check for $700 for a new bathroom vanity top. I wrote the check December 5, 2017 and he cashed it December 6th......he strung us along and we eventually confirmed with capitol granite that the top had never been ordered or paid for.

He just took our money. We now have not even had the final inspection on our addition, and my bathroom was never completed. This has a been going for over 2 years.

One or two or three guys would show up for 3 or 4 hours a couple times a week, then nobody would come for a month or two. I am so angry.

Tags
  • Contractor Theft
Preferred solution
Finish it or pay someone else to
Review #1415425 is a subjective opinion of poster.

This guys a scammer!

We hired this service to remodel two of our bathrooms in our house. He started on the first one telling us he needed half the payment now, which most contractors do.

So we gave him half the payment. Then we told him to buy middle-of-the-road items to put in our bathroom and he brought back cheap looking materials and charges 3 times what they were worth. He told us they were the middle of the class items we had asked for. He then had other people come in to tear off the drywall and tear out the floors and then said that they charged him more so we then had to pay him more.

After paying him $4,000 he never got the first bathroom completely done and never even started on the second bathroom and he never showed up again. He is nothing but a scammer and a drunk and does not do quality work in my

Poor customer service
Review #1234541 is a subjective opinion of poster.

If I could leave less than a 0 star review, I would.

These guys completely took advantage of an elderly lady. To start: she is LDS, when my husband noticed Beer cans in the garbage can downstairs and cigarette buds on the floor. She asked them to not drink or smoke on her premise. The beer(What type of construction company allows their employees to drink on the job?????)

Their work was HORRIBLE!! When brought to the companies attention, they could care less.

My husband is now spending hours fixing and doing the work they were paid to do. The work is worse now than it was to start.

NEVER EVER will I recommend this company. I will recommend family and friends to stay as far away as possible from this company.

Too late for a refund if you've altered or defaced the allegedly defective work.

@Harold

Refund is not the issue here! They left her with no running water.

And a HUGE MESS!She is elderly, what were we supposed to do leave her there with no water ..NO, I don't think so! I'm beyond grateful nothing happened while they were on the job drinking!

@Harold

A refund is NOT the big issue here! She is elderly, they left her with no running water!

What were we suppose to do, leave her there with no running water! NO, I don't think so! The company was of no help!

We had to get her water on and back to a livable state. I am just grateful nothing happened while they were on the job drinking!!

View more comments (2)
Full refund
Review #1210737 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Thumbtack - Tile Kings owner David Bautista

1.3

Had David Bautista of Tile Kings come to my home to replace 2 cracked ceramic tiles in my bathroom. Tiles were replaced and in order to match the grout he recommended that the entire floor be re-grouted.

Re-grout consisted of a layer of grout over existing grout. I let it dry overnight and when I cleaned the floor in the morning I discovered two tiles next to the repaired tiles now had hairline cracks in them. I called David to let him know that when he replaced the original two, he cracked two more. He told me they were already cracked.

I asked if they were already cracked, why didn't he tell me and have those replaced also. He had no answer for that. I would not let him back to repair the two he cracked because of his dishonesty. Any reputable tile person would have pointed the tiles out if it were true.

I know for a fact only the two replaced were cracked. Plus the grout around the two that he replaced is so much lower than the rest of the grout.

Very poor job and dishonest to boot. Will not use Thumbtack for any recommendations again.

Bathroom Remodeling
Cons
Poor job, Dishonest tile worker
Dishonest Tile worker
Price reduction
Review #1200375 is a subjective opinion of poster.

DONT Use thumbtack!!

Hired a contractor through thumbtack. I was wary since there doesnt seem to be any reviews for the 'professionals' listed there but we were in a pinch and the meet and shake went well.

$2,300 in we have had a a gutted bathroom for a month now. We see the contractor every 8-10 days after we spent 4-5 days badgering him to come back and work.

Nice guy but come on! 20 hours of labor over 45 days because he's taking jobs faster than he finishes them.

Order processing issue
Review #1173275 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1173275.

Thumbtack - B A D

Update by user Feb 07, 2018

Thumbtack arranged a snap chat interview with contractor, arbitrator & us. Everyone agreed to accept arbitrator's decision.

The decision went in our favor with $ awarded to be paid by contractor in 2 weeks.

That time has passed & we have not rec'v any compensation that was awarded to us. Still waiting for any Thumbtack guarantee.

Update by user Dec 17, 2017

Nothing resolved yet. Thumbtack is supposedly setting up an arbitrator to reach a decision on our complaint.

It feels like they are just delaying this issue as long as possible hoping it will just go away.

Not happening. This unprofessional contractor needs to remove his fake company.

Original review posted by user Nov 17, 2017

Up to this point & time I would say that Thumbtack's guarantee has not been truthful. Come to find out the recommended contractor wasn't even a real business, nor was the contractor a registered plumber.

My Wife hired a recommended professional contractor through Thumbtack to remodel our bathroom. This entailed taking out the old cast tub, surround walls & required putting in a new Jacuzzi whirlpool tub with new surround walls. This was all to be accomplished on a Saturday according to the contractor. When I got home from work on that Saturday, the tear out had begun.

The tub and surround walls were out & the contractor was busting out the drywall. I told him the new surround walls had to be glued to drywall. We discussed how to fix this & I was off to the store to get some new drywall for him to install. I dropped the drywall off to the contractor & left to run another errand.

Upon returning from my errand I checked on the progress of the renovation & discovered that this contractor had no idea how to install drywall correctly. He had cut it with a saw and the line he cut was anything but straight. I had a conversation with the two young men doing the work & they admitted they had no idea how to do drywall installation. I stopped all work & sent them on their way, being down $800 at this point and time.

When we started cleaning up the mess they had made we discovered they had busted the new whirlpool tub when they set it in place. I got a hold of the recommended contractor the next day & told him I needed most of the $ I had given back so I could hire someone to fix what he had tried to do & asked about the cracked tub.

He said it was cracked when he took it out of the box, (which was a lie because I was present when the tub was unpacked). We are now dealing with Thumbtack customer service & getting the run around.

Bathroom Remodeling
Cons
Workmanship of finished product
Poor customer service
Full refund
Review #1133093 is a subjective opinion of poster.

SCAMMER posing as Pro, and Thumbtack dont care

STAY AWAY FROM THUMBTACK. There are scammers posing as pro and Thumbtack don't care.

We hired T&S Tiling through Thumbtack, who said he has 15 years experience remodeling bathroom. He pretty much butchered our bathroom, took our downpayment of 2,000$, and did not finish it. Our bathroom has been unusable for a month now and we are now waiting for a verified/recommended bathroom remodeler (not through thumbtack!) to put us in his schedule. We have reached out to thumbtack because they have "guaranteed PRO" but have still not heard anything back from them.

This is a joke. Anybody with 15 yrs or even a decent "tile installer" would not have done such a bad job as this T&S Tiling company (Leon) did. He is pretty much a scammer and I'm surprised Thumbtack has not done anything. We have sent them pictures of the work and screen shots of communication with T&S Tiling as well as a copy of our "contract" where he said it will be done PROFESSIONALLY and within a week.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/114876/what-do-you-think-of-this-recent-unfinished-bathroom-tiling-work This "professional" from thumbtack also damaged our toilet. https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/114882/is-grout-in-the-toilet-a-plumbing-clog-concern .

San Francisco, California
Tags
Cons
Scammers posing as pro
Not as described/ advertised
$2000
Full refund
Review #1055109 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Thumbtack - Chuck Joseph of Parkland Florida Rip off artist do not hire this man.

Hired this contractor Chuck Joseph to remodel my bathroom. Gave him $950 cash in good faith as a retainer.

My husband and I had to cancel the job. No work had begun. Mister Joseph refused to refund our monies. Said things like : "I can't give you what I don't have".

We thought he was a good an honest man. When he came to our home. Boy, were we wrong. We are still amazed at his behavior.

Can not imagine what he was thinking. We guess he spent the money we gave him in good faith. Guess he is down on his luck and doesn't have any actual jobs. So he may have desperately needed our money to support his family.

We will never know for sure.

Gave him monies on November 16, 2016 still has no returned. Had to finally report him to Arbiclaims.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States #1272303

File a small claims court case against him. That will at least shake him up a bit! Sometimes it's just worth consuming their time, and keeping them nervous!

Reason of review
Contractor refused to return monies for retainer.
Full refund
Review #989772 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer989772.