American Home Shield - Bad bad bad

Bad bad bad customer service sucks waited five weeks to get a AC unit no communication with contractor no communication with home warranty they just blow you off and blow you off and blow you off finally when they put it in they left all the wires hanging on a brand new unit very fire hazard I would not recommend this company to anybody

Tags
  • Atlanta Home Warranty Review
Cons
Bad response from contractor
Poor customer service
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1589140 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - The worst

90 minute hold times, they can't get authorizations approved. They take the deductible and don't finish the job.

I have been waiting for 2 weeks for approval to trace a short on an AC unit. This is what they are calling expedited service.

I'm in California it was 111 here last week, with no air and an elderly person. They refuse to honor their contract.

Tracing an electrical short is a time-consuming task. A senior tech can spend hours tracing it, and find multiple blown electronic parts that will need replacing.

AHS only allows the HVAC contractors to Bill a maximum of $200 per HVAC claim, or they fire the contractor. You see, Ahs promises a high volume of work orders, but requires the average ticket total not exceed $200. Correcting your problem will take hours, and the HVAC company won’t get paid for that time, let alone the parts. His best bet is to call the problem a power surge, which is not covered by AHS, and the claim will likely be denied.

Then he could quote a new system for you, the homeowner, if you are interested. He has to cut his losses and hope you will make other arrangements. He has to keep servicing the high volume of AHS work orders (other AHS customers in your area are also without air in the 111 degree heat and most of them also have elderly people and newborns—everyone does!) the bottom line is that there is not enough money being paid to the contractor to spend tracing a short.

Those get pushed to the bottom of the stack. Just buy a new system, and cancel the home warranty.

Tags
Cons
Employees
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered
Review #1563474 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Company refuses to honor a in-lieu claim

1.3

American Home Shield send their repair person to fix a broker air handler, but the repair company was unable to fix the problem up to a cost of $1,200. It said that we needed an entire new air handler for $4,000.

AHS then offered to reimburse me if I had the air handler repaired using my own firm. My own repair firm came and found that the motor inside the air handler needed to be replaced and did so at a cost of $1063.63. I submitted the bill for $1,063.63 but AHS suddenly walked back on its promise to pay. It claimed that the promise to pay was for the replacement of the ENTIRE air handler and not the motor.

This is not what was agreed upon. The promise to pay was for the repair of the air handler and not for a new air handler.

DeltaPhoenixServicesCares

I have read your complaint at very most your air handler replacement should not exceed 2500.00 to 3000.00 and motor shouldn't exceed 1250.00 complete. If you have any questions on average pricing contact me At Delta Phoenix Services 205 573 3454

@DeltaPhoenixServicesCares

In the retail market, yes, those prices you quoted are correct, and it would be smarter to replace the blower motor rather than uninstall the air handler. The reason the AHs contractor wanted to replace the air handler is so that they could charge non-covered charges for the modifications.

A blower motor replacement would not entail any non-covered items, and the contractor would have to buy an expensive blower motor without compensation from AHS or the homeowner. Having a home warranty perverts the entire normal service process. AHS only pays the HVAC contractor $200 per call and the contractor has to supply al the parts and labor. This blower motor can easily cost the contractor $500 or more from the parts house.

So the contractor will lose a lot of money replacing a blower motor. On the other hand, replacing the entire air handler allows the contractor to charge the homeowner whatever he feels like for “modifications”. A cheap air handler is the same price as an expensive blower motor. The contractor has to pay for the parts and equipment and he’s only going to get $200 from AHS either way, which, by the way, was charged on the initial diagnostic trip to the home.

There is no financial compensation for the contractor to just replace the blower motor. The contractor is cheated by AHS, so it behooves the contractor to recommend replacement of the air handler in order to collect money from the homeowner if they want it done. Of course, the homeowner is under no obligation to choose to go with the air handler or the AHS proposal at all; but it relieves the AHS contractors from having to provide an expensive blower motor for less than what he can charge. Of course the homeowner just wants the “free to him” blower motor replacement, and the sooner the better.

Rather than put the claim in the “waiting for parts” stack, the AHS contractor devised a smart plan to put off the customer and keep from having to buy the motor. The problem is that AHS doesn’t pay for anything, although they “cover” it.

The contractors are the ones having to pay for everything in order to keep their contract. Until this price fixing is investigated, home warranty companies will continue to cheat the customers.

If you’d have gotten the new air handler from the AHS contractor as they wanted you to do, AHS would only have paid $200 to the contractor, and the contractor would have supplied a POS $400 air handler, and charged you $1200 for the freon and modifications. Do you see what happened there?

AHS would only be out $200 as usual, and the contractor and the customer would have paid for the replacement. Instead, you went the right way and got the blower motor fixed with a motor that cost more than the entire junk air handler that would have been mismatched. However, AHS doesn’t pay $1000 in any of those scenarios. They cap the cost their HVAC contractor can charge per call at $200 no matter how much it costs.

If the contractor needs more he has to charge the customer. You didn’t want to pay for the out-of-pocket expenses and/or wait for service, so you bypassed the process.

That was the right thing for you to do and highlights why you don’t need a home warranty. But now you want them to pay your tab and that is not going to happen.

View more comments (2)
Memphis, Tennessee
Air Conditioner Repair
Cons
Whole experience was a nightmare
Problems with payment
Full refund
Review #1456110 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Got A/C "fixed" now heat does not work

1.5

I had a company come out to fix my Air Conditioner about a month and a half ago and now that it is getting cold out I tried to use my heater and my heater does not work? Im pretty sure that it has something with the earlier repair to the A/C and now no one will help or return my phone calls......Time to cancel and look for another more reliable service provider for sure.

I have been calling since 7:30am and it is now 2:30pm and still no call back from anyone.

I contacted the original A/C service provider and even though their work is guaranteed for 3 months I was told that I still have to contact AHS to schedule another work order and pay another service fee to have them come check out work that is guaranteed for 3 moths? Sounds pretty much like a racket to me...

The best way to get a fast response to a heating or air, plumbing, or appliance problem, is to call a local small business guy out and pay him. The 3 month guarantee on the previous work done on the air conditioner has no bearing on the heat call.

This would be a new service call. Go online and submit a new service order on the furnace or heat pump and it should go right through.

You’ll still have to get on the waiting list and go through the eternally slow claims process while your family freezes. Get it fixed much sooner by calling someone else out.

Work Experience or Job Application
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1401985 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Harresment about claim payment

AHS reaches out by email to offer a inspection for hearing system for $75.The serviceman sent out put in a wrong size fuse and burned my boars it making our A C go outduri g 90degree weather.Took 3 weeks to get a new part to repair.I was told I wouldn’t be charged because of their error now they keep sending me invoices and threats Awful company to deal with

Inspection and maintenance plans are such a ripoff. It’s an opportunity to break something or sell you something you didn’t need.

That’s all. Maintenance should only involve cleaning the coils only when they get dirty, and checking the refrigerant before the start of cooling season.

Change your filter monthly yourself. Call a small business repairman when you have a failure otherwise.

Bad quality
Review #1400359 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - This has got to be against the law!

Have been a customer's now for 10years. Had 3 contractors say unit needed replaced. Water pan was in bad shape it was approved in Jan. Everyone says by the time you take the drain pan out and put a new one in you have to take the whole unit apart it would be better to replace the unit I have written it up Time After Time! So they sent the contractor out to look at drain pan.

That Companies tec. Took all of 10 min.looking at it. Inform me we had mold!! But, stated I want tell them! Liars, ahs calls says, contactor states you have mold ..lots of mold! He will put new unit in for 6,000.00 . I asked her how they could identify mold without testing it! They are not mold specialist! So this now avoids the whole 10 years I paid toward my warranty and that will not cover my AC unit. I am awaiting another contractor to come out and tell me or tell them there is no mold they aren't mold specialist! There is no mold outside I live on a sandhill. I tried to explain to the payout division that AC people are not mold specialist!!

Informed her she could send out a hundred AC people.

In South Carolina you have to have you don't have to have it's a good thing to have a termite bond which we have always had where there is moisture there is bugs and where there is bugs there is mold

The contractor's office stated when I called back that next day that they did not mention mold it was against their work ethics to say mold! The contractor that's holding though water pan never contacted me back about putting the pan in he told me he wanted $1,200 to put a pan under there! And that it would be stupid to take the unit out and put a pan in it when the unit is so old they don't want to do the job!

All this info was pertaining to the pan that was supposed to be replaced in January! So that other company they sent out is the one that stated I have mold in it! From my understanding to see mold you would have to take stuff apart he didn't have any tools. Makes me wonder how many elderly people and dumb people that the contractor has told them you have mold and then freak out and pay the company six grand to put a new AC unit in!

Company name is Hospitality Heat and Air Columbia sc and Rock Hill SC! Even this company tells me I need a new heating and air condition they were trying to get it based on lying and saying I have mold! So what if I had mold in my duct work he didn't even go under my house, nor in my house

He stated my house has asbestos tape on the ductwork under the house that he didn't even go under! I bought this warranty because I thought it would take the worry away is what they advertise by being under warranty!!

I have also researched and if it were mold.. just say, it is not mold! I know it isn't because the man was here June 6th another contractor and if he has seen anything suspicious he would have let me know and I just renewed my termite Bond and there is nothing but dirt dust under my house!

And besides all that they are not qualified environmentalist! If anyone here is interested in a class action lawsuit please respond back! Hopesuggs4@gmail.com

Sorry, but there is no policy, plan, or scheme that will “take the worry away”. You have been “American Home shielded”.

The contractor is concerned with his numbers, because you have a major problem with your AC system—it’s going to cost the contractor, not AHS. AHS makes the contractor fix it for the capped price of $200, or sacrifice his relationship and future business with AHS, all while complying with stringent state and local requirements on installation codes. The problem is that AHS penalizes the contractor for any billing over $200 per call, to the point that the contractor is willing to absorb any costs in excess of $200. They can pass along certain costs to the homeowner, wherever there are coverage gaps, in the form of non-covered charges.

Claim denials are a more expedient way for the contractor to avoid having to absorb the cost of replacing your system. The cost will never hit AHS’ wallet, either way. That is where the public is so misled.

They think AHS is going to just “cover” and pay for repairs and replacement, but it’s actually the contractors that pay for it, in exchange for a high volume of $200 calls. Buy a new AC system yourself, because you don’t want those guys butchering your system and doing a halfassed job anyway.

Order processing issue
Review #1381670 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Deception and Lies

1.1

My AC had a leak I filed a claim cost me 75.00. They always contract 1 star companies to come out and do the work.

The guy couldn't find the leak so he placed Fix a leak in my system. 3 months later no air leak back. I called AHS they wanted to charge me another 75.00 as if the claim was done right the 1st time. I explained i was not paying another fee for a problem that should have been resolved .

They are not going to keep doing 3 month patch work wanting me to keep paying. They waive the 75.00 but then kept billing me for the 75.00. They are DISHONEST and the plans are a scam. Shotty work at best.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. You will be speaking with a lying conniving sales rep that will tell you anything to get your business. Finally my out of pocket cost for my AC is $1785.00. Coverage huh yeah when *** freezes over.

All major appliances that are more costly AHS has thee most restrictions of what's not covered. Do yourself a favor and find ANY other warranty company but this one.

Better yet, do yourself a favor and don’t buy ANY home warranty at all. You can hire 5 Star companies, and decide which repair scenario fits your budget and timeframe.

You can save so much time and aggravation by calling your own crews out whenever you need service—no wait!!!

White glove service that meets your expectations is just a phone call away. It’s just not any home warranty’s phone number.

MonumentalSquirrel
@Anonymous

That's just what I've done.

View more comments (1)
Order processing issue
Review #1380161 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Resolved

Resolved: American Home Shield - Worst company ever!

Update by user Mar 29

The ac company that AHS hired payed for a brand new unit, and AHS payed for the installation fees. I didn’t pay a dime, but I still didn’t renew my contract with AHS to avoid any future headaches.

Original review posted by user Sep 27, 2018

Filed a claim for my ac unit to be repaired, the contractor said the compressor needed to be replaced. when they came out to install it, it was the wrong one so they had to reorder which was supposed to take up to 3 weeks..

it’s been over 2 months with no new compressor and no word from the ac company. When we call they say they’re still waiting for the compressor which in my opinion should not have taken that long and should be expedited if that was the case. I have a newborn and a toddler and have the malfunctioning ac running and it has cost me $400 electricity bills each month for 3 months because of the compressor not working properly. They sent out a shady contractor that was charging us $840 for refrigerant and other “services” that weren’t covered, we denied and then they said they made a mistake and brought the price down to $540.

So if we would’ve agreed 30 seconds prior they would’ve robbed us $300. Yet AHS won’t let you choose your own contractor. I’ve been calling AHS and they say they’ll return my call which doesn’t even end up happening.

Both the ac company and AHS are beating around the bush and with the accumulating expenses and fees, I could’ve just purchased a new unit. This company is ridiculous I would never recommend it, not even if the contract was free.

But you are going to wait on them, aren’t you, and let them come back and perform the *** job on your system? Of course you will, because you recognize that it will take far more than $540 or $840 to properly resolve your faulty ac unit.

You likely don’t even own $540. You know that a compressor changeout is not going to fix your ac problems, right? You are about to waste $540 that you probably don’t have, to further aggravate the situation. If your system is the older R22 refrigerant, you are about to make a costly mistake.

However, you don’t care because the way you figure, it is the only move you can make, and remain in this AHS game. If you don’t proceed with this I’ll-advised repair, it’s game over. If you pay the $540, and wait until the company finally works on your system (which they don’t want to do, in case you didn’t know, because it won’t fix it and they are going to spend more than $540 and AHS probably isn’t paying anything at all—)at least you’ll still be in the game, complaining how you are owed something for free. You won’t switch warranty companies, because you want to be in the position of being the aggrieved customer, who deserves restitution.

You don’t want the air to work, or if you really did, You would have accepted a cash out and hired someone on your own months ago. The newborn and the toddler deserve parents who will provide for them and not take part in scrimpy games with the necessities. You have yourself to blame, that you haven’t done your children right, if you are indeed living in a house with no air for 2 months during summer because you can’t hire a reasonable contractor yourself or buy a window unit or two. It’s a game, and you know it, using your toddler and infant like pawns, making them suffer because you can’t or won’t do the right thing.

It’s not AHS’s fault, it’s yours. Houses get old and items need replacing.

Going the warranty repair route should only go so far, and their comes a time when a homeowner should man up and put the family first. If you can’t, then perhaps homeownership is not for you.

AridPheasant
@Amityville

It’s not only the $540 and $840, like I said I’ve been paying $400 in electricity bills. The compressor isn’t working and I still have the ac running, due to the fact that it helps cool te house a little.

You don’t know me or my situation. It’s actually pretty funny how ignorant you sound speaking on something you know nothing about. If only you knew how much I do have, but it seems like you’re speaking from experience on not having those $540. It was never even about the $540, it was about the fact that I was gonna get scammed out of $300.

I wasn’t offered a cash out nor did they let me hire my own contractor from the beginning. Trust me my children are far from suffering. Like I said it’s difficult for an ignorant person to understand, speaking on something they know nothing about. Anyways, I just got a call from AHS, they’re replacing the whole ac unit.

I guess expressing my frustration and what I’m going through got me somewhere, right!? With your mentality you won’t get far in life sweetie, good luck!

@AridPheasant

Please update with what the modifications cost, sweetie, as I’m sure it won’t be free. Then you’ve spent your entire summer dealing with a simple problem, paying $400 a month in utility bills while you stress with a newborn and a toddler in the heat.

And what difference does it make how many babies or elderly people or pregnant people you have in your home? That just means YOU should handle the situation immediately YOURSELF instead of letting babies suffer, then deal with AHS later.

It’s a game that you obviously enjoy, or if you HAD the money to avoid wasting your summer you would’ve taken care of it long ago. AHS is not going to change, nor are their customers, or contractors.

@Amityville

My children aren’t in the heat that is why I’m paying the 400 a month in electricity. The ac is still running, they are far from suffering..

that’s the difference that I can’t have the ac off since I have them in the house.

Why am I gonna be paying for insurance to go take care of it myself? Obviously common sense is not that common haha.

@AridPheasant

Enjoy paying those non-covered charges then!

View more comments (4)
Order processing issue
Review #1367025 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Waiting ten days for service

sitting in a 90 degree house for ten days waiting or an air conditioner part to came in ,said no later than today .Now says two more days and denies they said the part and service would be today today . Just to call them you have to be on hold for 30 min.

and they do not keep the service company any updates .When I call the service company they just say I don t know when the part will be here . I have had this warranty for seven years and the wait time on the phone and the wait time for parts is getting longer and longer.

Call the contractor who ordered your part, and read them the statement below

The part is in. The part is available.

The contractor is busy with incoming calls from AHS. It is Monday. The contractor has to get to all those new calls that came in over the weekend before they go to another contractor. If they go to another contractor, he could lose the status of being an AHS preferred vendor.

The truth is that the part has been available the entire time, but that the contractor is going to have to buy the part and not able to get reimbursement from AHS, in order to hold AHS’ costs down. Meanwhile, pulling techs off the new incoming calls to go back to your house for free will cost him double. Once the tech went to your house the first time, when yours was a new incoming call, that’s the only time money was able to be charged out, which was your service fee plus up to $100 for the whole job. The needed part likely exceeds what the contractor can bill AHS, so it means the contractor will lose money buying your part, and going back to your home to install it.

While new calls are at risk of being diverted to his competitor in the home warranty market. It’s whoever can get there fastest and cheapest, on the new calls. The stack of people waiting for parts “to come in” grows and grows. Don’t use a home warranty company.

How much money did you save by going this route? Did you check with local small businesses to see how much it would have cost?

You have to choose what is most important to you: time or money. It can’t be both.

View more comments (1)
Lagrange, Georgia
Price reduction
Review #1364242 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Homes 4 Rent - Worst rental company ever

This is the 3rd time my ac has been out this summer because they keep just doing the minimum to fix it.. you can’t ever get them to get anyone out to fix anything ever especially in emergency situations.. We will never rent from this company again no matter the situation

This so-called bs company lies alot and truly believes in using bs contractors.. Yes im using this type of Verbiage...

Do 2 the fact of they treat actual RENT PAYERS as if there the FAT guys in the restaurant that can care less if you eat... Im with the stare as if 1650 for 4 years isnt enough.. 2 ask for curiosity really you cowards are bloodsuckers ..................................................... ..............

.......... .............

Bad quality
Review #1360920 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1360920.