1.5

American Home Shield - Got A/C "fixed" now heat does not work

I had a company come out to fix my Air Conditioner about a month and a half ago and now that it is getting cold out I tried to use my heater and my heater does not work? Im pretty sure that it has something with the earlier repair to the A/C and now no one will help or return my phone calls......Time to cancel and look for another more reliable service provider for sure.

I have been calling since 7:30am and it is now 2:30pm and still no call back from anyone.

I contacted the original A/C service provider and even though their work is guaranteed for 3 months I was told that I still have to contact AHS to schedule another work order and pay another service fee to have them come check out work that is guaranteed for 3 moths? Sounds pretty much like a racket to me...

Read

The best way to get a fast response to a heating or air, plumbing, or appliance problem, is to call a local small business guy out and pay him. The 3 month guarantee on the previous work done on the air conditioner has no bearing on the heat call.

This would be a new service call. Go online and submit a new service order on the furnace or heat pump and it should go right through.

You’ll still have to get on the waiting list and go through the eternally slow claims process while your family freezes. Get it fixed much sooner by calling someone else out.

MonthlyGoat
Work Experience or Job Application
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
Review #1401985 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Harresment about claim payment

AHS reaches out by email to offer a inspection for hearing system for $75.The serviceman sent out put in a wrong size fuse and burned my boars it making our A C go outduri g 90degree weather.Took 3 weeks to get a new part to repair.I was told I wouldn’t be charged because of their error now they keep sending me invoices and threats Awful company to deal with

Read

Inspection and maintenance plans are such a ripoff. It’s an opportunity to break something or sell you something you didn’t need.

That’s all. Maintenance should only involve cleaning the coils only when they get dirty, and checking the refrigerant before the start of cooling season.

Change your filter monthly yourself. Call a small business repairman when you have a failure otherwise.

WoodenStoat876
Bad quality
Review #1400359 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - This has got to be against the law!

Have been a customer's now for 10years. Had 3 contractors say unit needed replaced. Water pan was in bad shape it was approved in Jan. Everyone says by the time you take the drain pan out and put a new one in you have to take the whole unit apart it would be better to replace the unit I have written it up Time After Time! So they sent the contractor out to look at drain pan.

That Companies tec. Took all of 10 min.looking at it. Inform me we had mold!! But, stated I want tell them! Liars, ahs calls says, contactor states you have mold ..lots of mold! He will put new unit in for 6,000.00 . I asked her how they could identify mold without testing it! They are not mold specialist! So this now avoids the whole 10 years I paid toward my warranty and that will not cover my AC unit. I am awaiting another contractor to come out and tell me or tell them there is no mold they aren't mold specialist! There is no mold outside I live on a sandhill. I tried to explain to the payout division that AC people are not mold specialist!!

Informed her she could send out a hundred AC people.

In South Carolina you have to have you don't have to have it's a good thing to have a termite bond which we have always had where there is moisture there is bugs and where there is bugs there is mold

The contractor's office stated when I called back that next day that they did not mention mold it was against their work ethics to say mold! The contractor that's holding though water pan never contacted me back about putting the pan in he told me he wanted $1,200 to put a pan under there! And that it would be stupid to take the unit out and put a pan in it when the unit is so old they don't want to do the job!

All this info was pertaining to the pan that was supposed to be replaced in January! So that other company they sent out is the one that stated I have mold in it! From my understanding to see mold you would have to take stuff apart he didn't have any tools. Makes me wonder how many elderly people and dumb people that the contractor has told them you have mold and then freak out and pay the company six grand to put a new AC unit in!

Company name is Hospitality Heat and Air Columbia sc and Rock Hill SC! Even this company tells me I need a new heating and air condition they were trying to get it based on lying and saying I have mold! So what if I had mold in my duct work he didn't even go under my house, nor in my house

He stated my house has asbestos tape on the ductwork under the house that he didn't even go under! I bought this warranty because I thought it would take the worry away is what they advertise by being under warranty!!

I have also researched and if it were mold.. just say, it is not mold! I know it isn't because the man was here June 6th another contractor and if he has seen anything suspicious he would have let me know and I just renewed my termite Bond and there is nothing but dirt dust under my house!

And besides all that they are not qualified environmentalist! If anyone here is interested in a class action lawsuit please respond back! Hopesuggs4@gmail.com

Read

Sorry, but there is no policy, plan, or scheme that will “take the worry away”. You have been “American Home shielded”.

The contractor is concerned with his numbers, because you have a major problem with your AC system—it’s going to cost the contractor, not AHS. AHS makes the contractor fix it for the capped price of $200, or sacrifice his relationship and future business with AHS, all while complying with stringent state and local requirements on installation codes. The problem is that AHS penalizes the contractor for any billing over $200 per call, to the point that the contractor is willing to absorb any costs in excess of $200. They can pass along certain costs to the homeowner, wherever there are coverage gaps, in the form of non-covered charges.

Claim denials are a more expedient way for the contractor to avoid having to absorb the cost of replacing your system. The cost will never hit AHS’ wallet, either way. That is where the public is so misled.

They think AHS is going to just “cover” and pay for repairs and replacement, but it’s actually the contractors that pay for it, in exchange for a high volume of $200 calls. Buy a new AC system yourself, because you don’t want those guys butchering your system and doing a halfassed job anyway.

ShakySumatranTiger
Order processing issue
Review #1381670 is a subjective opinion of poster.
1.1

American Home Shield - Deception and Lies

My AC had a leak I filed a claim cost me 75.00. They always contract 1 star companies to come out and do the work.

The guy couldn't find the leak so he placed Fix a leak in my system. 3 months later no air leak back. I called AHS they wanted to charge me another 75.00 as if the claim was done right the 1st time. I explained i was not paying another fee for a problem that should have been resolved .

They are not going to keep doing 3 month patch work wanting me to keep paying. They waive the 75.00 but then kept billing me for the 75.00. They are DISHONEST and the plans are a scam. Shotty work at best.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. You will be speaking with a lying conniving sales rep that will tell you anything to get your business. Finally my out of pocket cost for my AC is $1785.00. Coverage huh yeah when *** freezes over.

All major appliances that are more costly AHS has thee most restrictions of what's not covered. Do yourself a favor and find ANY other warranty company but this one.

Read

Better yet, do yourself a favor and don’t buy ANY home warranty at all. You can hire 5 Star companies, and decide which repair scenario fits your budget and timeframe.

You can save so much time and aggravation by calling your own crews out whenever you need service—no wait!!!

White glove service that meets your expectations is just a phone call away. It’s just not any home warranty’s phone number.

MonumentalSquirrel
@Anonymous

That's just what I've done.

MonumentalSquirrel
Order processing issue
Review #1380161 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Worst company ever!

Filed a claim for my ac unit to be repaired, the contractor said the compressor needed to be replaced. when they came out to install it, it was the wrong one so they had to reorder which was supposed to take up to 3 weeks..

it’s been over 2 months with no new compressor and no word from the ac company. When we call they say they’re still waiting for the compressor which in my opinion should not have taken that long and should be expedited if that was the case. I have a newborn and a toddler and have the malfunctioning ac running and it has cost me $400 electricity bills each month for 3 months because of the compressor not working properly. They sent out a shady contractor that was charging us $840 for refrigerant and other “services” that weren’t covered, we denied and then they said they made a mistake and brought the price down to $540.

So if we would’ve agreed 30 seconds prior they would’ve robbed us $300. Yet AHS won’t let you choose your own contractor. I’ve been calling AHS and they say they’ll return my call which doesn’t even end up happening.

Both the ac company and AHS are beating around the bush and with the accumulating expenses and fees, I could’ve just purchased a new unit. This company is ridiculous I would never recommend it, not even if the contract was free.

Read

But you are going to wait on them, aren’t you, and let them come back and perform the *** job on your system? Of course you will, because you recognize that it will take far more than $540 or $840 to properly resolve your faulty ac unit.

You likely don’t even own $540. You know that a compressor changeout is not going to fix your ac problems, right? You are about to waste $540 that you probably don’t have, to further aggravate the situation. If your system is the older R22 refrigerant, you are about to make a costly mistake.

However, you don’t care because the way you figure, it is the only move you can make, and remain in this AHS game. If you don’t proceed with this I’ll-advised repair, it’s game over. If you pay the $540, and wait until the company finally works on your system (which they don’t want to do, in case you didn’t know, because it won’t fix it and they are going to spend more than $540 and AHS probably isn’t paying anything at all—)at least you’ll still be in the game, complaining how you are owed something for free. You won’t switch warranty companies, because you want to be in the position of being the aggrieved customer, who deserves restitution.

You don’t want the air to work, or if you really did, You would have accepted a cash out and hired someone on your own months ago. The newborn and the toddler deserve parents who will provide for them and not take part in scrimpy games with the necessities. You have yourself to blame, that you haven’t done your children right, if you are indeed living in a house with no air for 2 months during summer because you can’t hire a reasonable contractor yourself or buy a window unit or two. It’s a game, and you know it, using your toddler and infant like pawns, making them suffer because you can’t or won’t do the right thing.

It’s not AHS’s fault, it’s yours. Houses get old and items need replacing.

Going the warranty repair route should only go so far, and their comes a time when a homeowner should man up and put the family first. If you can’t, then perhaps homeownership is not for you.

AridPheasant
@Amityville

It’s not only the $540 and $840, like I said I’ve been paying $400 in electricity bills. The compressor isn’t working and I still have the ac running, due to the fact that it helps cool te house a little.

You don’t know me or my situation. It’s actually pretty funny how ignorant you sound speaking on something you know nothing about. If only you knew how much I do have, but it seems like you’re speaking from experience on not having those $540. It was never even about the $540, it was about the fact that I was gonna get scammed out of $300.

I wasn’t offered a cash out nor did they let me hire my own contractor from the beginning. Trust me my children are far from suffering. Like I said it’s difficult for an ignorant person to understand, speaking on something they know nothing about. Anyways, I just got a call from AHS, they’re replacing the whole ac unit.

I guess expressing my frustration and what I’m going through got me somewhere, right!? With your mentality you won’t get far in life sweetie, good luck!

@AridPheasant

Please update with what the modifications cost, sweetie, as I’m sure it won’t be free. Then you’ve spent your entire summer dealing with a simple problem, paying $400 a month in utility bills while you stress with a newborn and a toddler in the heat.

And what difference does it make how many babies or elderly people or pregnant people you have in your home? That just means YOU should handle the situation immediately YOURSELF instead of letting babies suffer, then deal with AHS later.

It’s a game that you obviously enjoy, or if you HAD the money to avoid wasting your summer you would’ve taken care of it long ago. AHS is not going to change, nor are their customers, or contractors.

@Amityville

My children aren’t in the heat that is why I’m paying the 400 a month in electricity. The ac is still running, they are far from suffering..

that’s the difference that I can’t have the ac off since I have them in the house.

Why am I gonna be paying for insurance to go take care of it myself? Obviously common sense is not that common haha.

@AridPheasant

Enjoy paying those non-covered charges then!

View more comments
AridPheasant
Order processing issue
Review #1367025 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Waiting ten days for service

sitting in a 90 degree house for ten days waiting or an air conditioner part to came in ,said no later than today .Now says two more days and denies they said the part and service would be today today . Just to call them you have to be on hold for 30 min.

and they do not keep the service company any updates .When I call the service company they just say I don t know when the part will be here . I have had this warranty for seven years and the wait time on the phone and the wait time for parts is getting longer and longer.

Read

Call the contractor who ordered your part, and read them the statement below

The part is in. The part is available.

The contractor is busy with incoming calls from AHS. It is Monday. The contractor has to get to all those new calls that came in over the weekend before they go to another contractor. If they go to another contractor, he could lose the status of being an AHS preferred vendor.

The truth is that the part has been available the entire time, but that the contractor is going to have to buy the part and not able to get reimbursement from AHS, in order to hold AHS’ costs down. Meanwhile, pulling techs off the new incoming calls to go back to your house for free will cost him double. Once the tech went to your house the first time, when yours was a new incoming call, that’s the only time money was able to be charged out, which was your service fee plus up to $100 for the whole job. The needed part likely exceeds what the contractor can bill AHS, so it means the contractor will lose money buying your part, and going back to your home to install it.

While new calls are at risk of being diverted to his competitor in the home warranty market. It’s whoever can get there fastest and cheapest, on the new calls. The stack of people waiting for parts “to come in” grows and grows. Don’t use a home warranty company.

How much money did you save by going this route? Did you check with local small businesses to see how much it would have cost?

You have to choose what is most important to you: time or money. It can’t be both.

BurlyClownFish
Loss
Price reduction
Review #1364242 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Homes 4 Rent - Worst rental company ever

This is the 3rd time my ac has been out this summer because they keep just doing the minimum to fix it.. you can’t ever get them to get anyone out to fix anything ever especially in emergency situations.. We will never rent from this company again no matter the situation

Read

This so-called bs company lies alot and truly believes in using bs contractors.. Yes im using this type of Verbiage...

Do 2 the fact of they treat actual RENT PAYERS as if there the FAT guys in the restaurant that can care less if you eat... Im with the stare as if 1650 for 4 years isnt enough.. 2 ask for curiosity really you cowards are bloodsuckers ..................................................... ..............

.......... .............

Bad quality
Review #1360920 is a subjective opinion of PissedConsumer1360920.

American Home Shield - Air Conditioner repair

What should have been at 15-30 minute service call to fix A/C turned into a 2 day event. 1st contractor they sent went to wrong address, tried to call me for directions and had wrong number.

Although I find it interesting Monday morning the office staff called to see if I still needed service meaning service and they reached me meaning technician called wrong number! 2) After I called AHS to inform them what happened they sent another contractor out. This guy had NO CLUE how to fix problem. He was using Google on his phone for instructions!

After doing nothing for an hour he pulled out power plug from outside unit so I wouldn't use it. It's not working anyway so what good is that?! 3) Called AHS back again, this time they issued me another company who they said would expedite service and come first thing Saturday morning. After AHS track record I call them myself just to make sure they do show up.

To my horror they said AHS told me wrong and will someone on Monday! They don't do expedited services. By now I'm beyond heated, when I call AHS AGAIN this time I'm referred to ANOTHER company. This time a service tech did show up within an hour and took care of the problem.

This simple service call costs me an unexcused absence from working meaning I received a point, 2 nights of sleep, house was 84 degrees and a MAJOR HEADACHE! In speaking with supervisor (AHS) that Saturday morning I could tell by his voice he didn't care one way or the other.

This is the 2nd time AHS has caused unnecessary frustration!! It did get repaired although I had to go through way too many unnecessary changes.

Read

Full refund? Why should you get a full refund?

They fixed your problem, and you didn’t have to pay for it.

Next time, hire your own contractor. Cheapskate.

Full refund? What for?

They fixed it and you didn’t have to hire anyone. Hire your own contractor and pay for it.

DistinctOkapi811
Reason of review
Use of non skilled contractors
Full refund
Review #1357832 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Disappointed

I have had AHS for about 4years. This last time, I was having a lot of problems with my AC unit.

The contractor they sent out to me was trying to charge me $3000 to replace the entire unit!! I called and had someone else come out for a "second opinion" and they were able to fix the problem. AHS was trying to charge me for this "second opinion" and after a lot of arguing it was finally decided they would waive the fee. I finally decided to cancel, I called to cancel my policy and they told me because its been TWO days since the last bill was due they can only stop it going forward !

So i'm out of pocket the $$$ I paid for the current month, and if I wanted to cancel effective today, I would have to pay an "Admin Fee" or cancel next months !! SO I AM STUCK WITH THEM ANOTHER MONTH !

and the sales representative was very rude the entire conversation. He kept talking over me, and finally when I asked for a supervisor, he told me there wasn't one.

OddballMarshFrog
Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy
Loss
Full refund
Review #1351587 is a subjective opinion of poster.

American Home Shield - Very poor customer service, inexperienced technicians

This is regarding my AC unit. AHA has been giving me the run around and they have not been able to diagnose my unit since February 2018.

They insisted I pay for Refrigerant after they changed the dryer and filter inside the condenser which I did. My AC is still freezing and the repairs did not correct this problem. They have refused to give me a refund on that and have sent every technician to my house. Once they cannot diagnose the problem, they pass the buck and tell me they need a second opinion.

This is more like the 10th opinion now. Some technicians they sent over will lie and tell me they will change the compressor and others the evaporator coil only for me to find out they have not sent any diagnosis to AHA. I have complained numerous times but no one seems to care. My first bad review that I gave them here promoted a call from their so called social media department.

The person assigned to me called to get different technicians pretty much and all of a sudden she went on vacation and has been on it ever since. I feel like they called me just so that I will not continue to give them bad reviews. This is an update to my previous review and things are worse now. I don’t understand how I have a home warranty company and my AC has been freezing all summer which leaves my house with little to no air, I paid $455 for refrigerant in February and $525 in July.

Stay away from this company if you can. I have paid them for a good number of months and will make sure that they fix my unit no matter how long it takes. All they care about is getting your money and maybe you will get frustrated and cancel the service.

Well, I will make sure all that money I have paid is put to use. Stay away from them and find a home warranty company that will do what they say and care enough to get reliable and experienced people working for them.

Read

Thank you for this review. I have now experience 2 summers without AC.

AHS is fully aware of the problem with the AC but somehow I have been given every possible excuse as to why it has not been repaired. They even required that I pay another service fee to "start the process again" and the results are still the same.

When you ask to be elevated to a manager no one knows how to accomplish this task. I am frustrated beyond words and feel ripped off.

@M Warsaw

After the first year with no AC, why did you double down and go for the second year? Isn’t that the definition of insanity?

The service companies only make money by selling you refrigerant and charging you for other non-covered items, such as modifications to retrofit new equipment. They know what is wrong with your system, but nobody wants to bite the bullet and pay for a new one, including YOU.

If you’ve actually been without air since February, then you value your money over your family’s comfort, and this is a game to you. You are one of those hot potato customers that’s going to continue to be passed around forever.

FragrantEdibleFrog
Order processing issue
Review #1347583 is a subjective opinion of poster.