Trae Meyr, a lawyer at Thompson Hine, rented us the house at 1223 Mississippi Avenue in St. Louis a little over two months ago. We currently have a three (3) month lease and have extended that lease by three (3) months until March 5, 2016.
Sounds great, so what's the problem?
Well, Trae thought he could squeeze some extra money out of us and told us he was increasing the rent or we're out on the streets... after only being in the house for two months!
My thirty year old wife is currently undergoing cancer treatment and we recently moved here from New York. Trae agreed to rent us the house for a "three (3) month rental period at $1,400/month renewable in three (3) month increments".
Knowing that it cost us thousands of dollars to relocate and that we couldn't afford to relocate again, especially given the demands of my wife's treatments, Trae demanded that we pay more in rent or he was kicking us out on the street. He currently has the property listed on Craigslist and, even though the Missouri Attorney General's Guide to Landlord-Tenant Law says he cant do this, he's doing it anyway.
We have notified Trae that we intend on renting the house through March 5, 2017. Trae has been bullying us around for the past few weeks, but being a bully doesn't make his actions legal. Nor does it make the rental listing on Craigslist valid. We intend on continuing to pay rent here until the lease expires, or we renew it, on March 5, 2017. Our goal is to find anywhere else to live so we never again have to deal with this person, but it costs thousands of dollars to move and we literally just moved in.
Think about that before you respond to the listing on Craigslist, consider buying the house, or consider doing business with Trae Meyr in any fashion.
If you're thinking of buying the house here are some interesting facts:
It looks gorgeous in pictures. It really does. It's not until you see it in person that you realize it needs major work. The toilet recently broke and was leaking into the kitchen. The sewage pipe leaks into the kitchen closet. The HVAC is constantly shutting off because the electrical system can't handle it. The consensus from the realtors we've spoken with is that Trae is asking $50,000 too much. We've seen dozens of people come by to view the house and it hasn't sold in 222 days.
Think about that for a minute.
Do you really want to rent or buy from a predatory landlord with a house that's falling apart? I don't want to, but it's expensive to move! We're hoping the Court will tell Trae to back off and act like a gentleman. Surely he can pretend to be decent for a few more months, and then you can take our glamorous place as tenants and enjoy all of the same benefits!
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
- Reason of review:
- Other issue
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Home Rental
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "20 years ago Nick Lambrinos renovated and converted two semi-detached homes into multiple dwelling units. He hired the appropriate contractors, Architect and Engineers to complete project. Drawings , Building Permits..."
- "this agency preys on seniors with alzheimer's but aren't picky and will devour anything they can,they are dishonest and have the best lawyers,side by side with the senior protective services..."
- "Absolutely Terrible. No one should have to go through what they have put our company through. If you have any kind of timeline for when you need your..."
- "Dissatisfied, my wife and I saw an add for the new cheddar cheesy steakburger. Looked good so we went out to get some. It was uneddible, the cheese was hard..."
- "My wife and I have always taken our house rabbits to Dr. Toepke, HE is a great DVM however upon arrival today, for our rabbit that kept sneezing and had a runny..."
- "We hired Dodge Moving & Storage to transfer our belongings from St. Louis, MO to Granbury, Texas. They basically damaged or destroyed every set we owned. Found out that they..."
- "Avoid this "storage bed" which lacks storage - Junk! This was one of the most disappointing furniture purchases we ever made. From the pictures and the descriptions, we expected a..."
- "No, she's not a thief; she is just the opposite. She's the best. Her picture was nothing like her: she is ten times more beautiful in person. Her face, her..."
- "I recently bought a Pro-Form 225 CSE Elliptical. Once we try it we noticed how much the machine rocks. We try different surfaces, adjusting the feet and tighten up the..."